Thursday, July 4, 2024

Happy Independence Day!



Happy Independence Day!!  In case you hadn't noticed I've been working on some patriotic pieces lately.  I was hoping to update my summer mantle, but I just ran out of time to decorate.  You see, we went on a week long vacation to the beach!  We had a blast, but  more on that later.  I wanted to update a little about the things I've been stitching!  

I have always loved patriotic cross stitch.  DH is retired from the Army after 25 years of service so we love our country and like all things associated with freedom.  I was able to get this one framed before we left and that is sitting on our mantle, but the other little pieces never got finished.  I'm going to work on them soon!  Above is called Land of Liberty by Brenda Gervais and is stitched on 40 count Legacy over two.  I wasn't expecting to get it framed, it just sort of happened...lol.  I do love how it turned out!  

I was also able to get Anne Thomas 1854 by Hands Across The Sea Samplers framed, but I noticed something under the glass that shouldn't be there, so I'll be taking it back to get it fixed.  Still here is how it looked when I brought it home the first time.  



While I was away I was able to finish up two of the 12 Days of Christmas Stockings by Anne Beez Folk Art.  These are stitched on 28 count black over two (don't faint...lol)  I love how these are turning out!  Here is day one and day two!  




I had taken a couple of other pieces to stitch too, and as the condo was a little dark at night, I worked on these others at night.  It was too hard to see the black fabric in the evening.  The first is Happy Birthday America by With Thy Needle and Thread stitched on 36 count natural over two.  



The second is Sweet Summer Come Again by Blackbird Designs stitched on 36 Wren over two.  I've had these in my stash for ages!  All kitted up, with no place to go...lol!!  I'm looking forward to getting them stitched and finished up soon!



I was able to get TWO shopping days in at The Salty Yarns while there.  Hubby may be sorry he suggested the second day...lol.  I will get pictures and show you soon the goodies I found.   The first day there I had a list of things I needed...so that is mostly fabric and floss.  The second time I shopped for the fun of it.  I found some things I've been looking for for a while!  That was a fun day!!  

While we were away, we had some fun times with the family!  I have to say, it's fun exploring new things through the eyes of a 2 year old...lol.  This is the face you make when you have Fractured Prune Donuts at the beach in the morning!  



Here are a few pictures of our adventures.  

















I will say, it took some time to get our DIL to agree to the old fashioned photos.  My husband and I have had our pictures done a few times in our lives, the first time on our honeymoon.  It's fun to capture our vacations with these fun pictures.  Since we were at the beach, we decided to be pirates.  What a fun time we had!  






I just want to add, here at the end, that being a military family has it's challenges.  You aren't always close enough to do the big family things.  I'll be honest and say, while I loved doing things together as just the three of us, I have really enjoyed being a part of a bigger family.  Our DIL is all about making memories and she graciously includes us in many of their outings.  It's wonderful being able to watch our granddaughter grow and learn new things, and I love it when she runs to us, so excited to tell us things and give us hugs.  So...thank you, Heather, for including us and making us feel like family!  We love you all!   

And on that note, I'll wish you all Happy 4th of July!  And Happy Stitching!

3 comments:

diamondc said...

DJ: Your two finished designs are beautiful, I have had a design framed and found a little something that should not have been under the glass.
I like the two designs you are working on now, very pretty, I love Blackbird designs, looking forward to seeing them both finished completely.
I am giggling your granddaughter is so adorable, she has a personality that shines, you are truly Blessed.
The photo of you and your husband is so sweet, I can see you both love each other very much, that is a photo worth framing.
You have a wonderful daughter in law.

Happy Fourth
Catherine

Shelly said...

Oh, what a fun post! Glad you can take Anne back to the framer; that must've been disappointing. At any rate, she's gorgeous. The Annie Beez stockings are looking great. I might have to look into buying that book🤣the pic of you and hubby is adorable! Happy stitching!

Robin in Virginia said...

Your beach outing/vacation looked fabulous, DJ. I am glad you were able to go and make memories. Your finished pieces are lovely. Happy Saturday!