Friday, September 2, 2022

New Adventure

I posted before that I attended a class at Hobby House Needleworks in the spring.  It was the second time I'd been there and I just love their store.  The classes I attended were run by Jean Farish.  She is a phenomenal stitcher and teacher, I learned so much.  I finished the Melbourne Sampler which is one of the classes I took, and finally had it framed a few weeks ago.  Looking at it now, doesn't seem too impressive, I guess...but I learned a lot of new stitches and techniques for the drawn thread...and I really like how it turned out.  



She also taught a class in design.  I played around with the software she taught us to use.  I looked through some antique patterns I found in an online pattern library.  These are freely distributed and can be used to design our own samplers but cannot be used for resale.  I can offer the design I created for free, and may post it here later.  I hesitate to call it my own design, though I guess in a way it is.  While the chart is one I semi-recharted in the software I'm using, I created some shading within the pattern and then I chose the color scheme.  That was a challenge in itself, as I had to change most of the colors while I was "model stitching".  I'll just call it my sampler...lol  I think I'll name it Wildflowers.  There is still a bit more to stitch, but here is where I am so far.  I have tons to do today and tomorrow so I'll show what I have stitched so far.  Hopefully soon I'll have a finish!  I've posted a few pictures on Facebook, and thought I should explain a little about the design.  



I have been working on a Christmas design that is all my own creation.  When I start model stitching that one, I'll show progress pictures.  It shouldn't be too long before I do that.  I hope everyone is enjoying the slightly cooler temps we have been experiencing here.  Take care, stay healthy, and Happy Stitching!

1 comment:

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Lovely work on both pieces. I do like those wildflowers.
I charted a sampler using motifs from a library book several years ago. It's a fun way to make your own unique design.

http://comehappydancewithme.blogspot.com/1998/01/blackwork-in-purple-sampler-3.html