Saturday, October 2, 2021

Welcome October! Breast Cancer Awareness

Hello Fellow Stitchers!  It's October and my favorite month for a lot of reasons!  First, it's fall...and my favorite time of year!  The weather begins to cool down, and the days seem to be less hectic.  It's also my birthday month!  Yippee!  For many reasons I love celebrating another "trip around the sun"...this year in particular, was a year of joy for me!  I got to celebrate a year of having a Daughter in law (who loves stitching!), and the year of our first grandchild.  Can it get any better than this?  And last, October is the month I get to nag  encourage you to get your yearly breast exams.  

Many of you know that I am an 11 year survivor  Breast Cancer.  I am one of the few who never had a history of breast cancer in my family.  I don't drink, nor do I smoke, and I really don't have any of the usual precursors to the disease.  I was still in my 40's, healthy otherwise, and was considered "too young" to have had the disease.  Still I had been getting my yearly mammogram since I was 45.  They found it while it was very small, but even then, it had already spread to my lymph nodes.  I'm telling you all this, because it came out of the blue for me, and given that 1 out of every 8 women will contract this disease, you never know who it will affect.  It is always better to be safer rather than sorry.  Please, for those you love and care for, and for yourself, have your yearly check up!  Those who matter to you will thank you!

I usually have a giveaway this month for those who comment and make plans (or have made plans this year) to have a breast exam.  I've had an incredibly busy year and have a lot of things I need to do before December this year, so I will need to get my thinking cap on and decide what I'm going to include in the giveaway.  I've made things in the past, given away patterns, and other things, so I'm not sure what I'll do this year.  (with the birth of our grandbaby last month, October snuck up on me rather quickly)  I'll be nagging reminding you to get your exams all month, so stay tuned, I'll post soon what I plan on giving soon.  Any comment made this month will be included in the giveaway.  Only comment once for each post, but if you comment on more than one post, you will get another chance in the drawing at the end of the month.  Clear as mud right?  Hopefully you understand, and I'll be back soon with what I will be giving away.  Good luck!

To keep you interested, here is something I finished recently...this is September by Little House Needleworks.  I've been stitching these for my British pen pal and I've fallen behind.  I need a little kick in the rear to get motivated so I can catch up again!  LOL  



Happy stitching, everyone!  And don't forget to get those yearly exams!! 

3 comments:

diamondc said...

DJ: My birthday is in January, that is when I get my breast exam and all the other things like a flu shot, its easier for me to remember that I need these things to be done.
Congratulations on being a survivor, it is ladies like you that help others stay positive about getting breast exams.
A Beautiful Happy Birthday to you.
September design is lovely, the fabric color is perfect for this design.

Catherine

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

We only get mammograms once every three years in England. The rest of the time we are encouraged to examine ourselves each month. The theory is that women get to know their own bodies to recognise changes themselves.
I had mine last year so I'm not due for two years.

Also, Happy Birthday, your first as a Grandma!

Clare-Aimetu said...

Thank you for such an important post, although in the UK mammograms are not yearly we do have dedicated teams at all our hospitals. My local hospital sees anyone referred to the Breast Care Unit within 2 weeks, I know my appointment and consequence treatment was very quick. I did not find a lump, I felt very uncomfortable similar to mastitis when breast feeding, so it came as a huge shock. I will forever be thankful to my doctor for referring me and the care of all the hospital staff.

Hugs for all who have been affected by Breast Cancer 🌻