Thursday, February 29, 2024

Leap Year February Catch-up

Whew!  I don't know about you, but this month just flew by!  Even though things have been moving at the speed of light, I've had a lot of stitch time.  It's hard to explain how that happens here, just know I put a lot of miles on my stitching!  LOL!!  I know I mentioned before that I hoped to stitch 5 pages a month on Anne Thomas and I was certain I wouldn't be able to do it, but lo and behold I did finish those 5 pages!!  I put in 9,736 stitches in Anne this month.  



I was officially halfway on the 23rd.  I was excited for that because there were a few other things I wanted to do this month that I was putting off.  After reaching the halfway point, I began to stitch on other things.  I stitched on two Santas for Clare's tree this year.  Mr had 633 stitches, 



and Holidazzle Santa had 2153 stitches.  



They were stitched on perforated paper (and I STILL need to get those in the mail...sorry Clare).  Those two I took on a mini vacation that my husband and I went on to Lancaster.  I'll talk about that later.  I put a few stitches in Floral Magenta....very few, I just didn't have a heart for it this month but decided to try to stitch a bit each month.  I only put in 633 stitches this month.  



Then I have joined the Just Cross Stitch Ornament Challenge on Facebook.  Each month, by a majority vote, we have chosen one pattern from the most recent Ornament Issue.  This month they chose A Christmas Star by Giulia Punnti Antichi.  I chose a random floss I found at a thrift store, kind of a medium pink, and stitched it on 25 count navy fabric over 1 using Rainbow Gallery Petite Treasure Braid silver.  I loved how it came out and even was able to fully finish it before the month was out!  Yay me!  This one had 819 stitches.  



Next I chose one that is for the month of March called Ready For Christmas by Durene Jones.  This was stitched on 40 count Burch over two and has 2246 stitches.  



There was a companion piece to this one by Durene Jones called Checking It Twice and is published in the August 2023 JCS issue.   This is also stitched on 40 count Burch over two and has 2351 stitches.     



Last, but not least was this Wonderland Craft kit (KL386) that my husband gave me for Valentine's Day.  This was a fun one, using beads (and a silky kind of thread that refused to stay in my needle) on perforated wood.  It stitched up in a day and had 812 stitches.  



That made a total of 19,032 stitches this month.  That doesn't count the stitching I did to make three of the Christmas pieces into ornaments.  You have seen the one above, and this one is Letter to Santa from last month.  



The other was Believe by Rosewood Manor.  These were different to assemble but nice for a change from the round ornaments.  With a little luck I'll get the other two I have stitched together soon as well.  



Now a little bit about our Lancaster trip.  Well, we actually stayed in a little town previously known as Cross Keys (I hesitate to write the real name...lol...Pennsylvania is known for some very strange names for towns).  My husband's birthday is in January...so for his birthday and Christmas combined I got tickets to two performances as gifts.  The first was Mousetrap, a play that has been running in London for ages (he saw a performance before he met me while traveling in London back in the late 70's).  The performers at the Dutch Apple Dinner Theater in Lancaster are very good, it was full of laughs, intrigue and quite a surprise ending!  



The second performance we saw was A Tribute to Olivia Newton-John.  She is my husband's favorite singer.  He says her name with reverence, sings (that's a loosely used term when talking about my husband's vocal abilities) along with all her songs, and drools when he sees pictures of her.  It almost makes me wish I were a blonde.  LOL!!  We had a little chat with her after her performance and Mike got to have his picture taken with her.  He was in heaven, in case you couldn't tell by the look on his face.  She was very good, and sounded quite a bit like her.  It was a very entertaining performance!  



We really do enjoy the Lancaster area and even talked about retiring there.  Fingers crossed, we can do that before we are too old to enjoy the ambiance of the area.  Here is a picture I took from the window of a restaurant one night at twilight...so peaceful!  



I can't remember if I mentioned it before, but Mike will be going on a work trip to Spokane, Washington in April.  We had been planning for me to go with him, but I've had a problem with my knee for months.  I saw an orthopedic and had a shot in that knee, that helped for a day or two and then it's back, if not worse, than before.  I don't see myself running through airports trying to make connections...so I am staying home (imagine the amount of stitching I'll get done with no one to monopolize my time!?!?!?!  With a little luck I might even finish up Anne...Oooooh the possibilities.  Who am I kidding?  I'm gonna miss that man like crazy!).  So...since I'll be saving on airfare, and we do enjoy our little jaunts here and there, we are hoping to make a trip to Sight and Sound to see the performance of Daniel sometime this year.  Stay tuned!  And on that note...I'm off to see about doing some finishing before the month truly is over!  I'm actually looking forward to stitching on Anne tomorrow!  Thanks for reading my rambling!  Happy Stitching! 

6 comments:

Katie said...

Great update. Everything looks fantastic. Lovely trip. Yes PA has some fun names haha. My Grandma visited one and blushed telling me about it. I laughed so hard. So sorry to hear about your knee. I hope they can find something to help you.

diamondc said...

Hi DJ: February did fly by even with on e added day this year.
Anne Thomas is a beauty, 9736 stitches' is a boatload, love your Santas so sweet.
Your ornaments from the JCS magazines are adorable.
Your husband is so sweet to give you the Valentine day kit.
Lovely finished ornaments.
Cute photo of your husband.
So nice you had a great getaway together.
I bet you will get loads of stitching done when he is gone.

Catherine


Clare-Aimetu said...

What a great round up, your stitching is all lovely especially the Durene Jones. Thank you so much for stitching the santas

Robin in Virginia said...

Totally enjoyed your words and pictures, DJ! Your trip to Lancaster sounded like a lot of fun. Your stitch projects are all so pretty. Well done on the finishing! Have a wonderful weekend and a fantastic month of March.

Sandy said...

WOW!! You've been busy with projects galore, one after the other. All so cute, love the pink ornament especially because you used up stuff which I think always feels like a bonus. You can really see how pleased your hubby was. Cute picture.
Sandy's Space

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Anne Thomas looks amazing! It’s so nice when you really enjoy a project like that.
Lovely work on Clare’s Santas too. I really must choose one and start stitching it or it will be December before I know it.
I’m sure you will miss hubby on his trip but the joy of stitching uninterrupted is not to be sneezed at LOL