Monday, November 23, 2020

I had a Fabulous FFO weekend!

Hello Fellow Stitchers!

It's been a whirlwind of a weekend!  I follow a Facebook page called JCS Stitch Along and our fearless leader had the brilliant idea of having a FFO (Fully Finished Object) weekend.  When you consider the hundreds (and I do mean HUNDREDS) of unfinished projects loafing around in my boxes of stitched items, I cheerfully (and trepidatiously) voiced my agreement...silly, silly me!!  Weekends at DJ's Digs can be either crazy, insanely busy...or they are snooze fests.  I  never know what DH has cooked up until the weekend arrives so I really need to be prepared for anything.  Since the Governor of our state decided we needed to close down a bit due to the rise in Corona cases, DH has been like a caged lion.  This just shows his independent (some might say controlling) attitude...and takes a bit getting used to...LOL.  I love him dearly, but his non-compliant nature needs a little work...LOL!!  Anyway, since the order came down, he has been making plans to get out each and every day.  This weekend was no different.  Fortunately I was able to keep him home one day and let him sleep really late the other and got quite a bit done!  Here is what I was able to accomplish over the weekend.

First is the 12 Days of Christmas from Stoney Creek magazine.  These were featured in the 4 publications of 2019.  I really love these!  They have since (so I've been told) published in a single leaflet with all 12 patterns.  They were a joy to stitch...I just love them!!  They were finished using "Design a button" larger size and hand gathered ribbon around the edges.  I found the ribbon at JoAnns.


Some of these have been in my "to finish" pile for so long I don't know if I can remember names of patterns, I do apologize.  I've had this finished for ages.  I had been looking for the perfect frame for so long...and stumbled across this Laura Ashley frame in either Home Goods or Marshall's.  Sorry I don't remember the name of this particular design.



Purrfect Stockings from the 2019 JCS Ornament issue was finished off in this sweet little 4x6 frame I found at Michaels.  I can't wait to display this on the mantle this Christmas!



Sharing the Christmas Story by Handblessing Designs was stitched years ago, I was looking for the perfect frame and found this ornament frame at Michaels over the weekend.  Isn't it adorable?  



I just recently finished my first Tart Pan Finish.  These are so much fun to finish and take very little time.  The most time it took me was cutting the circle for the base.  I used matboard and that stuff is insanely hard to cut evenly!!  I then took layers of hmmm...stuff I found at my Mom's house.  I think it's fleece, but it's very thin layers, and used in quilting I think, it is NOT batting.  I made increasingly smaller circles, then put one full circle on the top to smooth out any lumps, took a running stitch along the edge of the stitching, gathered it and laced the back kind of like I do in the tutorial for the round ornaments.    As I was gathering things to fully finish, I found these four that were the perfect size, so thought....this should be just right for a tart pan.  I had some extra pans sitting around so went for it.  Here are Frosty's Night Out by Blackbird Designs, Black Cherry Tart by Plum Street Samplers (a gift from an exchange I received years ago), Tulip Shaker Box by Jeanette Douglas Designs, and the Study in Blue by Sue Hillis Designs (stitched with Cherry Wildflowers silk).



I started finishing a few others when I ran out of weekend...haha.  I am going to see about finishing up a few more, and I think Jo is planning on having another FFO weekend so.  Fingers crossed I can whittle down my pile and then try to keep on top of things as I go along.  Wish me luck!!  My goal now is when I finish an ornament, I will try to fully finish it before the year is out.  

I'm going to start planning my stitching for next year and will  be posting another page about that soon.  I hope my plans aren't too lofty.  At least I was able to keep up with the ornaments I hoped to stitch this year!  Wish me luck!

And that, as they say, is that!  I hope I haven't bored you too much....Happy Stitching Everyone!

4 comments:

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Wonderful finishing! You were an inspiration and an example to us all in the group.
I love the frame you chose for the Handblessing design, they were made for each other. The tart pans are fabulous too!
I hope your hubby is coping, we joke that my husband had traits of ODD - Oppositional Defiant Disorder! You should look it up LOL

Robin in Virginia said...

Oh DJ, what a fantastic post with all your beautiful finishes. Well done!

Katie said...

Wow! Wish I could have a weekend like that. Just gorgeous.

Mary - Lecoeurceltique said...

Terrific finishing, DJ. I love the tart pans.