Thursday, April 30, 2020

What a week...


I'm getting things ready to file taxes...on both our stuff and Mom's estate.  What a nightmare...so much to sort through...but I think we finally found all the paperwork, and we will be sending it to the CPA tomorrow.  *Deep breath*  I also spent over an hour on the phone with the claims person at Met Life.  It's been 14 months dealing with these people.  They finally told me today that they had sent her file to unclaimed funds.  SAY WHAT???  I've been seriously working on getting this sorted for MONTHS!!  If I can believe this guy I talked to today I will have to wait 5 days for them to return the money to Met Life, then they will finally cut the check and send it to me.  Whew.....I'm exhausted.

On a brighter note, I finished Blooming Bouquets - Thankful by Jeanette Douglas today.  I mean EARLY this morning...like 6 AM!!  I knew I was having a Zoom meeting with my stitching pals this morning so I wanted to get it finished so I could show them...then put that challenge away for when stores open and I can get it framed.  One of my stitching friends had given me the kit and I wanted her to see how it turned out.  Here it is...stitched on 40 count Heartland with recommended silk floss.  Most of it was stitched over two, except for the lettering which was stitched over one.  I had to tear out one line of the old verse (I didn't really like it) and then stitch the new quote I had found... Remember that children, marriages and flower gardens reflect the kind of care they get.  I love that little bit of wisdom!!


I decided, since it's been a while since I updated you on some of my projects that I would take pictures and show you what I've been doing.  I stitched a little on Marie Antoinette....these specialty stitches will be the death of me!!  Stitched on 32 black over two.  It's a pain to stitch on, but I think it will be worth it in the end.



I haven't got too far on Kringles, and I may put it in time out for a while until my friend Mouse, over in England, can get hers started and we can have our own SAL.  I'll have to wait to send her some of the materials until mail is flowing between our countries again...hang tight, Mouse!  I'll send it soon, I hope!


Creation has taken a back seat for a while too.  I love this, but I kind of hit a wall with it.  I'm at a part where there is a lot of confetti stitches, and I just needed something to finish quick and give me a little incentive.  Here is where I've got so far...


Flowers and Lace has also been sent to time out...I put the butterfly in the wrong place.  I usually frog before I send it to time out when I make a mistake, but I was discouraged...so there it sits...one of these days when I feel like it, I'll tear out the butterfly and add a few stitches...


Gloria is moving along and I've been able to keep up with the SAL.  I don't like stitching on this one, the fabric makes the floss shred like crazy...but I'm determined to finish it on time, as I love how it looks...fingers crossed!


I have been sorting and searching and I found this pattern I started years ago.  I pulled it out and thought I would try to finish it up this year.  It's an older Weihenberg pattern, but I always thought it was pretty...here's where I left it...I may put a few stitches in a week and see if I can finish it up soon!


I started a sampler Heather asked me for for their wedding.  It's been postponed for a while, and we are beginning the planning process again.  They are disappointed, but I trust it will all work out for the good.  I'm a firm believer that all things work for the good.  I'm looking forward to seeing what that will be.  I found this in a magazine and showed it to Heather.  She fell in love with it...I haven't got far, but I'll be working on this to try and finish it before the reception in the fall.


Last is a new pattern I've had sitting around for a while.  It took me several months to find all the beads I needed to get it started.  I sent for fabric from Fabrics by Stephanie.  I've ordered several fabrics from her through the years, she always does an amazing job.  It takes at least 4 weeks for her to dye it and send it off, but the wait is worth it.  I couldn't wait to get started, so I put the first few stitches in Christmas Snowflake today while chatting with my friends.  I'm going to work more on it later tonight.  This is a Shannon Christine Design, I have several of hers, I just love them!


I guess that's all the news for today.  Because it was such an upsetting and crazy day, my DH is in the kitchen cooking dinner.  Salad, tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches...I'm psyched!  We've been cooking together since his office sent him home when the quarantine started.  The first week was tough, but we finally found a balance and now we are really enjoying spending time together.  I think I'll miss him when he goes back to work, but it won't be long before he can retire.  At least this is a trial run so we know we can survive being together all day every day.  

I've been bouncing between projects, trying to clean up my son's old room to open it up for a stitching room, sorting through old photographs and paperwork that I found at my Mom's house (my Grandfather was a stone mason, I found old notes and prices he charged for his work along with documents that showed my Grandmother was a member of the Dressmakers Union) so slowly but surely my house is getting back in order.  I feel good about the things I've been able to accomplish.  It has been exhausting...more emotionally than physically though...I guess that's why I'm having trouble keeping with one project.

I hope that you are finding purpose in your quarantine....and if you are an essential worker and still going to work, I am here to cheer you on and thank you for keeping our country going.  I'm hoping and praying our country will get back to normal soon, and that all my family and friends stay healthy and safe.  Take care...and happy stitching!

5 comments:

Katie said...

Lots of beautiful stitching in your post. Congrats on your finish! Sure beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Wonderful photos of your work in this post!

Blooming Bouquets is gorgeous, lovely colours and a great quote too.
Gloria is equally fabulous and the Chatelaine on black is incredible.

I did wonder about the wedding but it is probably for the best so you can all be there in person.

My Grandad was a stone mason too. He worked for a funeral directors from the age of 14 to 70. He even made us a marble headstone for my gerbil when it passed! Not many 7 year olds have a proper gravestone for their pet. Mum was expecting a simple wooden cross!

Julie said...

No wonder you are unable to concentrate at the moment DJ with all that's been going on. My daughter is supposed to get married end June, but looks like that will be postponed too... so frustrating after all the planning isn't it.
So may pretty stitches you have been adding when you could.

Robin in Virginia said...

Well done on your finish, DJ! You shared some lovely WIPs in progress! Be well!

Mary - Lecoeurceltique said...

It's lovely to see all the projects that you have on the go. Your Jeanette Douglas finish is lovely.