Monday, November 12, 2018

NYC

I've had some pretty cool adventures lately.  My family and I took a bus trip to NYC for the day.  






Our main goal was to go and see the 9/11 Memorial and that indeed take most of our time.  While it's a sobering experience, it was one we all wanted to share because of it's significance in our lives.



My husband, son and I were living in Germany when the towers were attacked.  My husband was serving in the armed forces and our lives dramatically changed that day.  My son was at school, it was early afternoon, when one of my friends called to say that America was being attacked, turn on your TV.  I turned it on just in time to see the second plane hit the towers.  I sat alone, tears running down my face, watching the horror unfold, praying for my friends who lived and worked in NY and the Pentagon.  I will never forget that day.  






While we toured the Memorial with my son and his girlfriend, we talked about our memories from that day.  My son remembers coming home from school and seeing the news reports, then going over to my friend's house to play with her kids while a few wives sat and talked about what this would mean for our families, our country, and our husbands who were all serving in the military.  Sobering days were ahead, and indeed our lives were changed forever.

It was noisy as we stood in line to get tickets, and as we stood in line to enter the building.  It was a bright, sunny but chilly day.  The wind was blowing, and at times spray from the outside fountains would sprinkle us.  I imagine it was a little like that September morning when the attack happened.  As soon as we stepped inside the building, there was a hush over the crowd.  People talked in whispers.  You could feel something, I can't quite put into words.  It is a reverence, a somber feeling, remembering the souls who were lost, and the bravery of those who rushed to help.





One wall that is left is stained, it looks like the tears of thousands of souls who lost their lives there and their loved ones who grieve them.




What I didn't realize was that there are still parts of the original buildings there.  Part of the parking garage underneath the buildings, and a sign showing where the truck bomb was parked during the first attempt to bring down the buildings is marked.  A docent told us that if the truck had been parked one parking space over, it would have destroyed the building as intended.  








The footprints of the building are still there, with beams and staircases (the one where survivors were found) are still there.  There is also a wall where the remains of some of the victims are interred.   A video plays continually of voices of people who knew the victims, describing their loved ones,  so their stories will never be forgotten.




The beams are marked where each plane hit and are placed in the basement on the side of the building where they hit.





I can't help thinking this one looks like it's reaching out.

There are several memorial there commemorating the first responders who were lost that day.







There are fountains above ground representing the two towers.  Names are engraved of those who lost their lives that day.  I am glad they chose to memorialize this place this way.  A place of reflection and dignity for those of us to come and pay our respects.








I love the new building they erected to replace the original towers.  It's a beacon of hope for our country, a show of our strength and resilience, and a symbol of our resolve to come together as a nation no matter what strikes from outside our shores.




We did have a chance to see a few other sites...

Times Square...




And a Christmas Market in Bryant Park....





And a quick stop at a NY Public Library near Bryant Park where they had a little exhibit of the original Winnie the Pooh stuffed animals.




All in all it was a really nice day.  We enjoyed spending time together, and my son even commented that he loved doing stuff with us...and is already planning our next outing...


4 comments:

Vickie said...

Thank you for sharing this DJ. When our family went to NY this was not yet completed. I am so glad to see it through your eyes. The Winnie the Pooh stuffed animals are so neat! :)

Katie said...

This is on my list of to do trips. Thanks for sharing the photos. What an amazing place to see in person. Glad you had fun.

Mary - Lecoeurceltique said...

I imagine that visiting the Memorial would have been an emotional experience.

Julie said...

I beautiful place to remember those who were lost. My brother visited this when he came over the pond, he was very moved by the atmosphere inside.