I'm not going to lie...haha...I'm exhausted! I've been insanely busy the past week. A week ago I had a annual physical. The next day I spent on the phone making appointments and fielding phone calls from different clinics. Thursday I had another Dr appointment. Friday I went to the fair with my friend to see how I did with the needlework I entered (more on that later) We had such a fun day but BOY was it HOT!! Saturday I went to an Orioles game with the family. I spent most of my time trying to keep my youngest granddaughter entertained (she is pretty wild for sure!) It didn't help that the lady sitting behind us was her summer day care worker and kept feeding her mini M&Ms. Sunday we were up early to go to the fair with the family...again, another exhausting day keeping up with the grandkids and dealing with the heat. Then yesterday we took the girls for most of the day so their parents could get work done around their house. I found out that night that they took naps while we were chasing their kids around an indoor playground. I'll be thinking carefully whether I do that again for a while because today I can barely move...hahaha. They were super good for us honestly, but at the indoor playground they wanted us to run (and I do mean run) around with them. I'm beginning to think I'm too old for this...hahahaha.
So that means I didn't get much stitching done last week. Since yesterday was Monday, I should have stitched the next motif. I didn't get far and though I usually make up what I missed the next day, I threw caution to the wind and decided I'll catch up next week. Here is where I finished up yesterday. This is Simple Gifts by Jeannette Douglas, a SAL I'm doing with my pal Mouse.
I haven't done much on this one either. This is Pansy Sampler by Samplers Not Forgotten. While I'm enjoying all the specialty stitches, it really slows me down at times. I think it will be pretty when I get it finished though. Those stitches are challenging though!
And that brings me to the news of my entries in the fair. When I went on Friday, I found that most of my entries had received a ribbon of some sort. But when I went back on Sunday I found that one of mine had received another ribbon that wasn't there on Friday. To say I was excited is an understatement....lol. And while I was excited, I was confused because I don't know what the award is about. Let's break it down.
I entered Let Freedom Ring by Lila's Studio in the special category for Patriotic for the 250th Anniversary of our country. It won a special Red White and Blue ribbon which means it won first place for that category. This particular one won another ribbon that I found on Sunday. It's called the Anne W. Troyer award. The only thing I've been able to find out about it is that she is someone who volunteered for 40 years and picks ones in the Home Arts department to receive awards. It doesn't receive any monetary prizes but does give me bragging rights I guess...hahaha. I was truly excited to receive it!
I also entered this one called Hummingbird's Garden by Samplers Not Forgotten. I entered it in the Sampler division because of all the many specialty stitches and it also won a blue ribbon (first place).
The next entry was my American Flag that I entered in the generic Patriotic division. This won third place (white ribbon) but also won The President's Award. The Fair President visits each section and gives an award for that section that catches their eye. To be fair, the winner of this division deserved first place. Her entry was AMAZING and beautifully stitched. I think mine drew the President's attention because it really is eye catching.
I entered Peppermint Candy by Blackberry Lane Designs in the special Christmas category. This won first place! I debated to enter this one, or the Mill Hill Santa I had stitched (which I did enter in a different category and won nothing so I guess I made the right choice...haha).
I entered Tetelestai by Quaint Rose Needlearts in the 65+ category because it is all stitched over one and won third place (white ribbon).
I also at the last minute entered my Snowy Owl by Blackberry Lane designs and won and Participation Award for that one. It had beads and some over one stitching so thought it might win something. I have to say, the Participation Award is quite pretty...lol.
Since I had spent so much time on Let Freedom Ring, American Flag and Hummingbird's Garden, I really didn't have many WOW pieces to enter this year. I'm very excited with my wins this year. Having been told by folks I had thought were friends that my pieces weren't worthy of entering in competitions, it's encouraging and validating to receive ribbons. At the last retreat I went to many ladies there encouraged me to enter some of my things in Woodlawn. I'm considering it...but I'm intimidated by that competition. I'll keep an open mind. I'm also looking forward to the fall retreat so I can thank those ladies for their encouragement. Ok, thanks for following along with my rambling...Happy Stitching!











No comments:
Post a Comment