Tuesday, August 15, 2023

August Gifted Gorgeousness



Welcome to my Gifted Gorgeousness post for August.  If you don't know what GG is all about, please visit Jo's blog Serendipitous Stitching (click here) and click on the Gifted Gorgeousness sign up page to see the rules (or you can even sign up, you can join in any time!).  Basically we post things we are stitching that were gifted to us (including fibers, fabric and patterns) or that we are gifting others.  If you go to Jo's blog on the 15th you will see everyone who links in and you can see what others are stitching for GG too!  Are you ready?  Here we go...  

I have been working on Sarah Elliot's Sewing Chest which was a gift from a friend.  There are 3 more patterns to stitch but I set it aside this month to get started on some Christmas ornaments.  I have put all the ones I've stitched into one picture but if you want to look at them close up, you can click on the picture and make it larger.  I am excited to be working on this as it's been sitting in my closet for ages.  Wish me luck on the rest of the pieces!  



As I said before I rummaged through my stash to pick out some ornaments to stitch for Christmas.  All of these will be gifts.  First up is Flamingo Christmas by Stoney Creek.  It's stitched on 32 count Summer Skies by Sparklies, the fabric was a gift from Mouse in England.  This is for my Granddaughter as she loves flamingos right now.  



Next is 2009 Santa by Prairie Schooler.  Santa has a hockey stick, and I thought it would be perfect for my hockey loving son!  It's stitched on 36 count khaki over one.  



Next is Baking Spirits Bright from the 2022 JCS Ornament Issue.  I consider anything thing stitched from a JCS magazine a gift as my husband has gifted all the issues that have been printed.    I have someone in mind for this ornament too, as she usually makes fudge for us every year and I think it's perfect for her!  



Next is Traveling With Santa from the 2013 JCS Ornament Issue stitched on 32 count white opalescent over one.  I swore I wouldn't stitch on opalescent again, but in a moment of temporary insanity I thought it would be the perfect fabric.  I said a few choice words like...DARN, RATS, WHAT WAS I THINKING, while stitching on this...but I finished it...and really like the outcome.  I have a small piece left, just in case I have another bout of insanity...but this time it may be a long while before I tackle it again...haha.  This is for one of the kiddies on my list to give ornaments to.  



Last is an ornament I finished yesterday.  This is called Sheep Ornament by Durene Jones.  It's stitched on 28 count lambswool over two.  I didn't have the specialty fibers for this one, nor could I find them at my LNS so I fudged and substituted a few of them.  I think it will be relatively easy to finish, I just have to figure out how to attach a wool piece to cover the holes left from the hardanger work.  It was my first time doing the corner weaving needlework, and it's not perfect, but I learned a lot in the process.  I hope the recipient likes it...we will see.  



I guess that's all I have for this round of GG.  With a little luck I'll have the rest of Sarah Elliot's Sewing Chest done next month.  Finishing that has me shaking in my boots, but I'm going to give it the old college try!  I have a few more ornaments lined up...and several things in the wings to get some finishing done.  If I could stay home one weekend and get my act together...but that's another story entirely!  Ok, I'm off to get more stitching done.  I hope you are safe, healthy, and happily stitching!  Take care!  

5 comments:

Robin in Virginia said...

What a wonderful assortment of ornaments you have stitched, DJ! Your granddaughter is going to love the flamingo. You are moving along on the pieces for Sarah Elliot's Sewing Chest. Enjoy your day!

diamondc said...

Hello DJ: I like all your designs, very nice designs for gifts.
The sheep is so sweet.

Catherine

Elfie said...

Beautiful stitching, and such lovely varied projects. I love the Christmas ornaments particularly.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Thanks for taking part in GG this month. Love all the ornaments, especially that cute Flamingo!
The casket is going to be stunning too.

jocondine said...

Great stitchings! This flamingo is so cute and funny, it's allways weird for me to think about Christmas and beach together. xxx