Saturday, July 9, 2022

Seeing Red

Or maybe I should have said Seeing Red White and Blue?  LOL  I decided that since it was so close to our Independence Day I would pull out some patriotic pieces to stitch.  I've had some things in my stash for ages, and I decided they really needed to see the light of day!  So...I stitched Betsy's Tart by Plum Street Samplers first, but I didn't like the original charted colors, so I did a little "reinventing".  I stitched her on 36 count Confederate Gray fabric.  Here is my interpretation and I like it so much better!  



Then I pulled out Holiday Hoopla 4th of July by With Thy Needle and Thread.  I changed the color of the fabric to 36 count Confederate Gray and used some of the same colors from Betsy's Tart.  It's a little darker than I would have liked, but I still like how it turned out!  



Next I decided to turn to a few Christmas in July patterns I have had sitting kitted up for ages!  I found this amazing red Jobelan 28 count, and thought it would be lovely with these patterns.  I used DMC B5200 and it just popped on this fabric.  So I stitched O  Christmas Tree by JBW Designs.  This is stitched over one thread...isn't it darling?  



Then I pulled out a pamphlet by Waxing Moon Designs that had two patterns in it.  The first was Merry Christmas.  I just love this one!!  



I still had some fabric left AND still some of the same floss I used for the first one so I also finished Christmas Reindeer!  Whew....I stitched all of these in 9 days.  



Are you wondering how I had so much time for stitching?  Well....I'm not sure when, or how I was exposed, but lets just say that I was minding my own business watching Little Miss A a little over a week ago when I heard water dripping.  It got louder and more frequent, so I started looking around.  Not far from where I keep my laptop, I found a wet spot on the floor, and when I looked up...I saw water dripping from the ceiling....right below our master bathroom.  YIKES!  Thankfully we found a plumber who could come out the same day, he found the leak (a worn out washer in a water valve under the tub was the culprit) and he was able to fix it.  The plumber gave us the name of a restoration crew who came out the next day to tear a hole in the ceiling and discovered that it hadn't been leaking for too long, plugged in some rather LOUD machinery and told us to leave it all running for 72 hours.  In desperation to get away from the noise and smell we went to our son's house for dinner where DH decided he wasn't too hungry and just wanted to go home to sleep.  That day he discovered he had a fever and went to bed.  I went to the store and gathered up some supplies for what I thought was a bad  cold.  He tested positive for Covid the next day....then our son tested positive the next day and two days later...you guessed it...I tested positive and so did our DIL and poor little Miss A too.  It is truly insane how quickly that spread...and we still don't know if it was the plumber, his assistant, or the restoration crew or someone else entirely.  Anyway, it seems we are all doing much better now and we all had mild cases.  Let's hope we stay away from that stuff in the future.  Thank goodness for healthy immune systems!  Still  I put the time to good use and got a lot of stitching done.  If only I were so productive in the finishing department!  LOL  But that is a tale for another day.  

Stay safe and healthy wherever you are.  And Keep On Stitching!!

3 comments:

Clare-Aimetu said...

Huge hugs to you all, I'm so glad yo read you are all ok. It is such a worry with how it spreads do quickly and undetected. Your water leak could have been much worse if you hadn't spotted it. Lots of lovely stitching from your extra time.

Claudette497 said...

Those are all such festive finishes! Good for you getting so much done, even with your family being sick and water disasters!

Robin in Virginia said...

Lovely finishes, DJ! I really like your version of the PSS piece. I am sorry about the water leak issue, but really sorry about you and yours coming down with Covid although relieved that you are all feeling better. Take care!