Monday, March 30, 2020

Nature calls...

It's a lovely day in the neighborhood!  After the past few dreary, cloudy, dark days, it's a welcome relief to see the sun shining.  I had already told DH that I would get up today, take a shower and go for a walk with him.  It helped my resolve when I saw what a pretty day it is.  We live in a pretty subdivision that was built near a nature preserve.  It is within walking distance of our house!  So we picked up our camera and went for a walk.  




It's so pretty in the preserve no matter what time of year it is, and I guess my favorite is the fall when the leaves are changing, but it's really enjoyable in the spring when everything is coming alive.  The geese are laying their eggs, the turtles are coming out of hibernation, the bugs are coming alive so the purple martins are having a feast, and it's just a great time for a walk around the different ponds.  

We stopped nearby when a father was talking to his toddler son, pointing to the top of this tall tree.  As we walked by we could make out a nest...and then we spotted what they had been looking at.  I think we saw it flying by us later an American Woodcock flying overhead and I'm beginning to think it was that bird sunning his wings getting ready to soar for a while that day.  I couldn't get a picture of it as it soared by, but I'm sure it was the same wing we saw in the nest.





We saw so many turtles sunning themselves on various logs in the different ponds.  The signs said there were three different types that live there...painted turtles, snapping turtles, and box turtles.  The painted turtles are easy to identify, but the others have me baffled.  Can you identify them in these pictures?






The Canadian geese have taken over the area.  They are a protected bird here, and they are thriving!!  But they are beautiful, none-the-less.






We spotted a beaver den...



A little squirrel on a perch checking us out...



And lots of birds, including the only one we could get a picture of...this cardinal.



After days of sitting indoors, it was a welcome relief to get out and see the sun!  We were careful to keep our distance from others out walking, and we tend to forget that it's still safe to enjoy the great outdoors.  I hope the sun is shining wherever you are!  Maybe tomorrow I will have something stitch related to show!  In the meanwhile, be well, stay healthy, and happy stitching!!

5 comments:

Mary - Lecoeurceltique said...

You are fortunate having such a nature reserve nearby. Having such an attractive location close by will help to motivate you to go walking.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Lovely photos of your walk. You are lucky to have such a nice place within walking distance.
We have been sticking with the streets because it is just me and the small boy but we do have some nice marshes nearby.

Katie said...

Oh gorgeous photos. Thanks for sharing!

Robin in Virginia said...

DJ, what a fabulous area you have to walk and I am glad the sun came out so you could enjoy it. I enjoyed seeing all your photos! Be well!

Julie said...

Really enjoyed looking at this post, just what was needed. Thank you x