Monday, March 23, 2020

Bird watching...

As the weeks carry on with the quarantine we are learning new ways to entertain ourselves.  Thankfully we have Netflix,Disney +, and quite a few movies to keep us entertained.  I'm already trying to ration our food since we don't know how long we will be locked inside, but also to limit the number of times we have to go grocery shopping.  I'm also worried about gaining even more weight (and lets face it, I have an abundance in that department!  LOL)  We have walking trails through our housing area that are rarely used, so that has been an option on the nice weather days.  I've also gathered a few little "comfort" items...LOL


I think I finally impressed on DH how important it is for us to isolate ourselves, and he has been home from work for over a week now.  I'm grateful that he will continued to be paid, I know we are in a minority there so in an attempt to give back we are finding ways to help others who are not as fortunate as ourselves.  

Which brings me to our bird feeder.  We have stocked up on birdseed (many weeks ago just because we like to watch them) but have found we have a lot more feathered visitors than before.  Perhaps others have run out of birdseed...and the word is out that we have it here.  Or perhaps the birds are returning from wherever they wintered, but our feeder seems to be pretty popular right now.  I'm learning that female birds can be quite ferocious chasing those males away...LOL  Some spend way too much time at the feeder, keeping others away.  I guess people are more like animals than we realize!  LOL  



Watching people handle this quarantine ... by either ignoring the rules to self isolate, or hoarding supplies while others go without...or by not being empathetic to people who are going through a tough time and belittling their plight...or ignoring those in need.  Sometimes a word of kindness goes a lot farther than...get over yourselves your problem is trivial right now.  Emotional needs are as important as physical needs right now...so try a little kindness.  If you are able, check in on those less fortunate and provide a little relief for them too as long as you do it safely.  It's good for your soul!

I have to cheer on those who try to make life a little sweeter, like the stitching community offering free charts or discounts on their stock.  There are lots of lovely patterns being offered, just follow the #Bewellandstitch to find them!  

I'm also noticing the way leaders are handling the situation.  I applaud the Governor of our state.  I think he has the right idea, instead of pointing fingers or relying on federal aid, he is taking steps to gather the medical equipment we need, offering incentives for small businesses to help provide those needs, and monetary incentives to keep our economy from tanking.  Our federal government could take a few lessons here!

As the days go by and we begin to settle into a routine, and we have figured out how to survive this crisis, my mind has a little more space to really get more creative.  I struggled for a while getting this project started.  There are some lovely specialty stitches in this piece, but it really takes some concentration.  While I think it was meant to be stitched a little differently, I'm happy with the way it looks.  There are a few little oops in there, but I'm going to live with them.  It shows my human side...LOL!!  This is Creation by Tempting Tangles.  I have loved this since I first started watching Deb create it.  It was a gift from DH one year.  I finally figured out how to work the padded satin stitch, and the double herringbone and though I do see a few stitches that could have been worked a little differently, I'm pleased with the outcome.



I've also done a little stitching on Blooming Bouquets- Thankful.  I love the colors in this, and love working on it.  I'm in a SAL with a friend, but am afraid to go too fast on it because I don't want her to feel pressured to keep up...so I only work on it from time to time.  I'm thrilled to say the border met up...that is always a worry!  But the main parts have met at the top so now I'm free to fill in leaves and other stitching without fear. 


I think I'm caught up on the Christmas ornaments for this month too.  Here is Three French Hens found in Stoney Creek Magazine winter 2019.  This is stitched on 28 count white evenweave over two.  I love this little collection!  


I also finished Christmas Commute from JCS Ornament Issue from 2019.  I stitched this on 40 count over two on Midnight Tryst by Fabrics by Stephanie.  I really love this color!  I may have to order some in a different stitch count!


I learned about a lady who is requesting people to send her small cross stitched flowers for a Christmas tree she creates each year for her church.  Everyone who knows me knows that violets are my favorite flower, so here is my contribution.  I think I'll wait for a bit to send it to her...just till it's safe to visit other areas like the post office!


So....what have you all been working on?  Are you able to stay calm and stitch on?  Are you well supplied with necessities?  Is there anything I can help you with?  Let me know if there is!  Stay safe, and stitch on!

4 comments:

Robin in Virginia said...

DJ, I enjoyed seeing all your photos and reading all your thoughts. The stitched violets at the end of your post are so pretty. Hope you and yours are staying safe and healthy!

A friend and I are doing another monthly SAL this year. Our theme is complimentary designs, so that is what I have been working on. I finished mine this afternoon. I plan on starting the #bewellandstitch design from Heart in Hand this evening. Tomorrow, I will be kitting up projects for the month of April. So, yes to the calm and stitching on.

If you need anything, give me a holler via email! Thinking of you!

Julie said...

We are exactly the same here in the UK, so many greedy people and those that don't think the rules apply to them. DH and I are at home and have been for 2 weeks now, with my weekly chemotherapy and his recent heart op its a must.
Take care, stay safe and enjoy your birds and crafts. x

Katie said...

I agree with you it's sad how some people are acting. I think this is the chance for a new start. This is the time we should all be caring for each other. When I was at the vet with my dog yesterday the other people who so hateful that they had to wait. A poor lady had to have her dog put down. Several other emergencies had happened. Breath. If waiting is the least of your problems you'll be okay. I was so upset. When I was checking out I told the ladies who had been yelled at so many times. By the way Thanks for what you do. They said I was the reason they love their job. I make it it worth it. I said I wish I could get more people to be like me. Somehow. I will keep trying. Then through the grocery story I was smiling at people and they were shocked. Why would I smile at them in such bad times? Why not.

Love your stitching. Glad you had time to focus and move on with the one that was causing you problems. I have so much to work on. So much! I just need time. Today I started putting away my snowmen/winter stuff. Feels good but took too much time haha.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Glad to hear that you are keeping well and running your new venture as a Bird Restaurant!
Creation looks amazing and congratulations on the border meeting up for your other sampler. That's always something to celebrate!
I love the French Hen and the monthly JCS Ornie too.