Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Meet another member of the family


I've been trying to think what I'll add to this space. There is more to me than just stitching...so I thought I would introduce you to my companion and major source of entertainment, Thomas. No, it's not my husband (although he does come in a close second)...it's my cat! If there was a process in which to determine his mental health, I'm sure he would be deemed certifiably insane! I adopted him from a rescue organization and I think he must have been abused as a kitten before he was rescued. When I picked him up he nestled into my arms and began to purr the loudest purr I've ever heard. I thought to myself "Who would want to give up this wonderful, obviously affectionate, cuddley ball of fur?" It wasn't long before I learned the undeniable truth. I adopted the Tazmanian Devil! Doesn't he look adorable in this picture? That should have been my first clue...it's always the cute ones who cause the most trouble (I should have learned THAT from marrying my husband!) The good thing is that he adores me, but that's because I don't put any pressure on him. When he wants to sit in my lap, I let him. When he wants food I feed him. When he wants a scratch behind the ear, I'm more than happy to pamper him. (I was an Army wife, I was trained well, what can I say?) If I'm not home, and he's hungry, it takes several meows, some pats with his paws escallating to unsheated claws and a few nibbles on the leg to get DH to acknowledge that he's not performing his duties as chief of staff pro temp. Needless to say they have a love-hate relationship. DH hates Thomas, but loves me so I'm allowed to keep him. About a year ago, Thomas (who is strickly an indoor cat) escaped (DH SAYS he didn't see him run out when he took the garbage out) and went missing for two weeks. I mourned and missed him, DH rejoiced and started getting rid of all remnants of "the cat". Two weeks later I saw him peeking in the front door, bedraggled, thin, and pathetic looking. I couldn't believe he had survived 2 weeks without pampering (we live in an area where there are foxes). It wasn't long before the bedraggled, thin and pathetic looking creature in the house was DH. Now I was rejoicing and DH was mourning. Thomas is fiercely territorial. Do NOT touch his scratching post, his kitty bed, or his catnip mouse. Don't even come near them or you'll be subject to the wrath of Thomas! DH used to tease him by "playing" with Tom's toys. Now he only needs to walk by and Thomas will bar teeth, pull his ears back, and hiss at him. He's even been known to draw blood! The most amazing thing is that he is only like that with DH. And that is my constant source of entertainment! Until next time....

2 comments:

nutmegg said...

DJ you have a wonderful sense of humour, I love the story you just told, our pets own us I should know I have more than one, I'm going to have to keep coming back here...thanks for the entertainment and I love your blog....Margaret....xoxo

MysteryKnitter said...

Whooa! Thomas is quite a cat. I am glad he survived back home from his adventure.