Thursday, July 1, 2010

Praying for Peace of mind...or is that Piece of mind?

Hi there!

You may be wondering about my title I have up there...LOL I couldn't resist the play on words. Yep, I'm praying for peace of mind and a piece of my mind. I'm having a battle today!!

I haven't written in a little while because my life is so out of kilter!! I feel sometimes that my life is crawling along at a snail's pace...and at other times, it's flying by at the speed of light. It seems I make appointments for things and time seems to stand still until they get here, and then things are thrown at me from left and right. I'm saying up front that I am right handed and when you throw things from the left, I often miss them!! LOL

Since my last post I took a little trip. Where did I go you ask? I took the fast way down from the third floor...on my bum...hitting every step on the way down. Are you saying OUCH? Thank you, because that's what I said too!! (And a few other words I won't mention or my Mother will be washing my mouth out with soap!) DH and DS were at a ball game, and I was loading up on my usual meds before bedtime. (My friend reminded me I should just say NO! to drugs LOL) Seems I was always the most sore at night when I was trying to sleep. I was heading down to the kitchen to get a drink when my foot just seemed to miss the step and hit nothing but air. Yep, I was airborne without a parachute, my hand was caught up in the banister and thrown over my head (the arm that had just had surgery...and I think I ripped a couple of stitches DOUBLE OUCH!). I landed spread eagle on the living room floor. I got to my feet...and headed for the freezer for some cold compresses just as the guys came home. I wasn't sure what part of my body to use the ice packs on. LOL Needless to say, I opened an area of my incision under my arm, I had a HUGE bruise on my bum, and my wrist took a beating too. Not to mention my poor ego which has taken a licking and kept on ticking since this whole thing began. DH has a new nickname for me now. BABBs. Black And Blue Buttocks. While teasing me because of the bruise (which he has said looks like a duck, or a turtle, he can't decide which) I told him to kiss my BABBs!! Fortunately he didn't take that to heart, and took very good care of my incision, my bum and my ego (in that order!). The incision has finally healed over, just in time for the next step in the plastic surgery process...inflating the expanders. As the Doctor says, next week we start fillin' 'em up! Amazing we come!

Yesterday was one of those days. I had an appointment with the plastic surgeon in the morning, and the medical oncologist in the afternoon. In between I took a break from reality and went to see the new movie Toy Story 3 in 3D. If you haven't seen it, and you liked the first Toy Story, this one was very cute, although I did shed a few tears toward the end. I'm a softy what can I say?
I'm glad I did go, it was just the thing I needed before the firestorm started! Not only am I starting the process of inflating the expanders next week, but I'll be starting chemo as well. NOOOOOOO I thought I had another two weeks, I'm not mentally prepared for this. Now this is were I need peace of mind...beginning to see the picture? Not only am I starting chemo next week, but guess what!?!?! I need another referral.

I did nothing but talk on the phone from the moment I woke up (which is what woke me up in the first place...the phone) until 5:00 when the offices closed. The Physician's Assistant that gave me my post op appointment last week, forgot to refer me to the lymph edema clinic so called today to tell me to make an appointment...and OH YEAH, you need ANOTHER referral! I called them this morning and STILL have not heard back from the physical therapy clinic. *sigh* I DID hear from the infusion clinic about chemo and set up two appointments for next week. Then I called the insurance company to see what exactly I needed for chemo and physical therapy so I could call my clinic and get things rolling. I got a prescription for my wig (that should be fun!!) though, and am trying to coordinate a time when some friends of mine can help me select my new do! I called my primary clinic to see about getting the referrals, and spoke to my doctor who said she would write up the referrals and have them waiting for DH to pick up on his way home. DONE (or so I thought).

Then I realized I had made an appointment for chemo at the same time as a dentist appointment. I had to call and get a different appointment. Thankfully, because of the 4th of July holiday, people are canceling their appointments for tomorrow, so got both my son and myself an appointment for tomorrow...morning...8 AM (ugh!!) Don't they know I need my beauty sleep!?!?!?!

Then DH stopped by the clinic on his way home, and they didn't have my referrals. No sign of them in the computer. NOTHING!! This is were I lost my piece of mind. LOL And believe me, I'm going to find it, and hand it over to the ladies at the clinic tomorrow!! It's always the referral process that freaks me out, because it's like dealing with a brick wall. They THINK they know what I need, but the insurance company tells me something different. They refuse to bend, and so does the insurance company. I absolutely HATE being in the middle of two immovable objects! It shouldn't be this hard, especially when I'm in the middle of a war with my own body. WHY DO THEY HAVE TO MAKE IT SO HARD? I'm beginning to hate going to the doctors. It's more painful than my BABB!!

I'm heading out to look for my piece of mind. It has to be around here somewhere....


Tracey said...

OUCH DJ! You poor thing! Like you aren't going through enough right now! Hang in there hon! Take a stitch break on a soft chair!

Edy said...

Hang in there DJ -- You've come so far! You'ld think that by now the clinic and Insurance Company would be tired of hearing you rant and have everything ready for you WHEN YOU NEED IT!!!

Lot's of Hugs coming your way ((((((DJ)))))))