Saturday, October 3, 2020

Newest Additions...and there are quite a few! AND Breast Cancer Awareness!

If you're wondering where I wandered off too, well it's been quite an eventful few weeks.  Where to start?

I know some of you don't like to read about personal lives, so I'll start with pictures of what I've been working on.  Since the 6th of September I've been working exclusively on Coming to America with the exception of a few gifts I sent to some new Pen Pals I have recently begun writing to.  I have more I've worked on but can't show them to you until they have been received.  First off is the bookmark I sent to my Texas pen pal.  I think this was a free pattern (I have a notebook full of them) but I'm not sure where it came from.  It's stitched on 14 count ribband.




Here is what my Pen Pal sent to me!




I've also started the Christmas ornaments that I stitch each month.  First is the one from the 2019 JCS ornament issue that is a challenge each month.  This is by My Big Toe.  It's stitched on 32 count light mocha over two.




This is the beginning of One More Stitch, a Victoria Samplers ornament from the 2014 JCS Ornament issue.  This is stitched on 32 count light mocha.  The back is finished, I'm working on the front now.




Now on to Coming to America.  I have loved stitching on this.  I've had a few interruptions do to my son getting married (but we'll get to that in a minute) and adopting a new fur baby (and we'll get to that in a second).  I think I'm about 1/3 done, and I seem to catch up, then fall behind, then catch up again.  Right now I'm a bit behind.  



I have been getting sidetracked because life at DJ's Digs is moving along at warp speed.  But I've ordered a few little bits and bobs to add to the adventure.  I have two new needle minders and a floss minder too!  And since I'm a stamp collector, I couldn't pass up the chance to get a first day cover commemorating the 400th anniversary.  Here's a glance at everything!  I also picked up this Mayflower Rose Ornament pattern, hopefully I can squeeze this in before the end of the year!






I've been shameful lately.  I decided I couldn't live without the Sewing Club by Blackbird Designs.  I can't wait to get started on some of these, they are really pretty!  I was able to find some of those little boxes too!  Not all of these are mine, I managed to score a few for a friend too!  I also snagged this little nativity pattern (you all know how much I LOVE nativities!) and it was in the sale bin!!  That's a must stitch for this Christmas.  




AND...DH loves to feed my addiction by buying me gifts for my birthday, which is coming up in a couple of weeks.  He subscribed to the Little Wren Handworke club through Scattered Seed Samplers.  I was late signing up, but the first three have arrived.  I can only show two, because DH decided to hold one back to wrap for my birthday...haha.  I can't wait to get started on these too...oh the decisions I will have to make as soon as Coming to America is done!



Whew...there was more there than I realized to talk about!  Now on to life...first up is the newest addition to our little clan, meet Max!  There's a long story with him, let's just say a friend's grandson had to give him up because he's moving into a place that doesn't allow pets.  While DH SWORE there would be no more pets, he just couldn't say no to this little cutie.  He's only been here a few days, and we haven't seen much of him, but I was able to snap this quick photo before he disappeared.  I know he's still here because he's been eating, and hopefully he will come out in a day or two and get to know us better.  In the meanwhile, we will talk gently to the room I know he's hiding in, and wait for another glimpse of him.  



And...more additions!  We finally have a daughter.  I hate to call her daughter-in-law because I feel like we are already family.  I can't tell you how much I love her already, not just because she loves our son and treats him wonderfully, but because she came into his life when he needed a friend.  She helped him so much get over the loss of Katie and they are just so sweet to each other.  The wedding had to be postponed because of Covid, then the venue had to be changed...twice...after that!  They finally  had things buttoned up just a short time before the wedding as changes kept happening.  I was holding my breath the week of hoping everything would work out ok.  And even the day before there was a haze in the sky from the fires out west, but the day of dawned clear, no clouds, cool with a slight breeze.  It was the perfect day!  Here are a few shots of their big day!

















Last, but not least, and thank you for reading all the way to the bottom!  As you know this is October, and is Breast Cancer Awareness month.  I usually have a give away to those who comment on this post (and hopefully are scheduling their mammograms!!)  I am now a 10 year survivor...can you believe it?  I've given scissor fobs that I have made in the past.  I will probably do that again this year, but I'll be thinking of something to add to it.  I will chose someone at the end of the month.  So please comment below and good luck!

And I will leave you on this note!  Whew...hopefully the next blog post won't be so jam packed with news.  But now you know the rest of the story, and why I've been gone for so long.  I hope you are all keeping well!  Happy Stitching!

7 comments:

Vickie said...

Congratulations to you all DJ! What lovely, lovely pictures! I am glad you were able to have a safe, wonderful wedding for your son. We are hoping to do the same for our son in two weeks! It will be in his fiancee's parent's backyard. Their wedding color is the color of your gorgeous dress DJ. :)

Clare-Aimetu said...

A super post DJ, what a fabulous wedding, everyone looks so happy. You've been very busy with some lovely projects, Coming to America is looking great. Huge hug to mark your 10th year, you (and other survivors) have been such a support to me over this wobbly year.

Linda said...

Congratulations on 10 years DJ. I'm at 25 years. Great wedding pictures.

Linda

Robin in Virginia said...

DJ, thank you for sharing the pictures of your son's wedding. They had a beautiful day to become husband and wife. Max is a cutie and I hope he will begin to feel comfortable in his new home. I enjoyed seeing your stitching; love the bookmark you stitched for you pen pal. Lovely new stash additions!

Mary - Lecoeurceltique said...

Congratulations to your son and his wife. Thank you for sharing his wedding photos. It looks a brilliant day.
I like the look of your new cat.
You've made a lot of progress on 'Coming to America' since I last saw a photo of it. I am always impressed with your range and choice of stitching projects. There is always something to fall in love with.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

You have been busy! Thanks for sharing the lovely wedding photos - proof it finally happened!
Love the new cat, I am sure he will get used to you and make him presence felt as he becomes more confident and settled.
I do like that Just One More Stitch ornament, it's very me LOL

ps I got my boobs squished this month, the nurse was great, no discomfort at all.

Aussie stitcher said...

Can't believe it's 10 years, my screen is scheduled in a few weeks, they reminded me 4 times by SMS, email and letter.
Max is gorgeous, look forward to more pics, bride and groom look great, and I especially (being a lacemaker) love the colour and lace on the groom's mom's dress! Looks great on you!! ALL THE BEST TO THE HAPPY COUPLE.

Did I say I love your stitching and lucky you with so many nice presents