Thursday, December 5, 2019

Advent Calendar Blog Hop, Day Five



It's that time of year again, when we begin counting down the days to Christmas.  Jo, over at Serendipitous Stitching has an annual Advent blog hop and this year I've been given day #5!  So....here is my Christmas cross stitch.  This is Holy Nativity, a Gold Collection Petite kit a friend had given me.  I love how this turned out!  (I really should finish this off so I can display it....bad, bad, cross stitcher!!)




Our topic this year is our favorite Christmas movie.  Oh goodness there are so many!!  I guess I would have to say my favorite is The Bells of St. Mary's.  It's an old Bing Crosby movie, with Ingrid Bergman and other older actors.  If you haven't seen it, you might find a little joy in watching an old black and white movie.  I laugh, I cry, and I find hope in the kindness in people....even the old crusty ones who are misunderstood.  

Another oldie I always enjoy watching is the Preacher's Wife.  Now I'm talking another old black and white movie, with Cary Grant and Loretta Young.  It's another heart warming movie, that makes you feel good about humanity and humility and the true gift of giving (family should come first!!)  

I used to watch these old movies with my Mom when I was a kid, and even after we grew older, she and I would love watching the old black and white movies.   I love watching them, and thinking of her.  And now I'm going to run upstairs and start one of these oldies and think of all the times we shared our love of these movies together.

If you love Advent, if you love Christmas, if you love cross stitch....please hop on over to Jo's blog at Serendipitous Stitching and begin the blog hop from the beginning.  You can reach her blog by clicking here.  Have fun, enjoy, and Happy Stitching!!

15 comments:

A Patchwork of Crafts said...

Hi I know the feeling about stitching and then not getting it finished to display. Just in case anyone is looking for the films the Gary Grant (angel) David Niven (bishop) black and white version is The Bishops Wife (one of my favorites too and I still find the special effects magical) there was a remake with the title The Preachers Wife (I think that was Whitney Houston as the wife and Denzel Washington as the angel but can't recall who played the preacher) which I liked less and found the special effects less..well special. Oh and the little girl in The Bishops wife is the same child actress who played the youngest daughter in yesterdays choice of Its A Wonderful Life.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Thanks for taking part in the Advent Calendar Blog Hop this year. I didn't think of you being able to use your 12 Days designs when I gave you a low number - what a serendipitous happening!
Love the warmth of the design you've chosen to share with us and the happy memories your films evoke too.

Elfie said...

Holy Nativity is beautiful. It does deserve to be on display! The Bells of St Mary's is a classic, and you've given me a movie to hunt down - thank you! Merry Christmas!

Rhona said...

Holy Nativity is such a beautiful design! I can't really say anything about finishing as I'm the world's worst at getting round to finishing my stitching.
I'm going to try to track down The Bells of St Mary's....maybe watch it while I stitch!


Merry Christmas.

Astrids dragon said...

Such a lovely scene with the animals and the Nativity. And yes, it needs to be framed so all can see it properly.
Sadly, I don't think I've watched The Bells of St. Mary's, only bits and pieces of it, I'll have to see if I can change that this year!

Katie said...

Another wonderful blog hop post. Thanks for sharing your post with us. Yes you should definitely finish off that beautiful piece to put on display. It's just fantastic. I hope you have a great Holiday season.

Clare-Aimetu said...

Beautiful nativity stitching, I love an old movie and Bing Crosby is always good

gracie said...

A beautiful Christmas project. Merry Christmas.

Shelly said...

Wonderful Nativity design, so pretty! Merry Christmas and Happy Stitching!

Ariadne said...

Oh yes you have to frame this amazing piece! Have a great time till and at Christmas. AriadnefromGreece!

Barb said...

What a beautiful Nativity scene. Merry Christmas!

FlashinScissors said...

Holy Nativity is beautiful!
I love those old black and white movies, so much more to them, and lovely sentiments!
A great post!
Hugs,
Barbara xx

jocondine said...

Lovely Nativity scene, love how the light and the snow look like and the colors of the stained glass are so great. Very nice chart! xxx

Christine said...

Beautiful stitching! Happy Christmas

Beth in IL said...

Love your Nativity. Yes, it always takes forever to fully finish a piece.