Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Tout finit

I'm sure there is someone out there that will correct either my spelling or my use of the French words, but as far as I'm concerned this means I'm finished!   Literally I think it means "all finishes".  Though they aren't finishes, I AM finished starting my Ultimate Crazy January Challenge....all 31 of them...whew!!  On with the show!!

Yesterday I started something I've had sitting around for some time.  It's the 1797 Ship Sampler from Carriage House Samplings.  I'm stitching it on 40 ct straw over two using DMC floss.  I would rather be using NPS, but at this point in time DMC is more in my price range *wink*.  I love the feel of this fabric, and the fact that it looks so antique.  Can't wait to get back to stitching on this one!!


Today I started another project I bought the weekend before I was diagnosed with breast cancer.  It was set aside and while I was digging around for projects for this challenge I found it again.  In the craziness that ensued my diagnosis I completely forgot I had gotten it...LOL  It's amazing the things your mind does when hit with devastating news.  This is Quaker Diamonds from Rosewood Manor, stitched on 28 ct Mello fabric from Picture This Plus over one using Verlandi threads.  I know I may not be able to put in the lower case letters as in the original pattern they were stitched over one thread while the rest was stitched over two.  I will have to see how it goes, I may back stitch the lower case letters in...we'll see.  I can always just leave them out.  



After today I'm wondering if I really will be able to finish them all....a couple of weeks ago my thumb on my right hand went numb.  I'm having trouble feeling the needle which makes it kind of hard to stitch.  I am also dropping things at work, not good when you are carrying sheets of glass around!!  I saw my doctor today who has advised I probably should take a break...try to keep my arm straight (especially when I'm sleeping) and not to lean on my elbows.  She is optimistic that I'll get the feeling back in my thumb so that's a good thing!  If things don't improve in a month, I'm to see a neurologist.  Oh yay, just what I need, more doctors to see!

I don't think I updated you on the meeting with the plastic surgeon.  After reviewing the results of the MRI he's pretty sure I am going to need surgery to fix the issues I'm having with my reconstruction.  I have to tell you, I'm not looking forward to more surgery, after finally getting back to work and things getting back to normal, I just wanted to move on.  It seems that just when it seems I can put all this behind me, something else crops up.  So....I'm not sure yet when the date will be, we are waiting on insurance approval, then waiting on a surgery date.  I've been having serious issues with my memory and I'm blaming it on all the anesthesia and other drugs that have coursed through my veins since the beginning of this whole process.  Wish me luck, and if I seem like a ditzier DJ when I get back, just blame it on the drugs!  LOL

Off to take a night off from stitching (protesting loudly I will admit!!)  It may be a little quiet on my blog while I take care of the issues, but I'll be visiting others and seeing how you are getting on!  *Hug

12 comments:

Denise said...

Love both projects...always liked the Quaker one. My memory is so bad, I would probably need to TAKE drugs to improve it! :-) Hang in there

Linda said...

Yeah DJ!!! You gottem all started. I have the 1797 Ship Sampler in my stash to do someday. Good luck with the doctor. Hang in there, everything will be fine. My mastectomy was April 7, 1995.

Linda

Glenna said...

Best wishes, and you've finished up with a lovely sampler!

Jeanne said...

Congratulations on your 31 finishes - WOW is all I can say! Your new starts look lovely too and both charts I have in my stash but who knows when they will ever get stitched LOL.

I wish you the very best with your upcoming treatment and hope you can soon put these issues behind you.

Mouse said...

oooo happy dance you made it to the end of your starts and love the lates ones btw .... and mmmmm think you may need to have a wee bit more of a rest especially with the dropping of things .... fingers crossed all goes well and the insurance approves :)
take care and squeak to you soon :) love mouse xxxxx

natalysneedle said...

Lovely progress! I love both of these designs.

Astrids dragon said...

Good thing you got all your crazies started, you must have over worked your poor thumb!

We might just have to go antique shopping on our stitching date if you still need to rest it. ; )

Tricia T said...

DJ, I'll be thinking of and praying for you. Let us know how you're doing, ok? Even if you can't stitch!!

Veronica said...

Oh, DJ, I really hope you'll feel better soon. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers. Good start on both new projects :)

Hugs,
Veronica.

Nicola said...

Life can be unfair at times but you have an amazing attitude which will carry you through.

Please let me know how you are doing, hopefully you will be able to stitch again soon. Are you able to sew with your hand?

Gillie said...

Ooh, I will do a SAL with you - it was one of my Crazies from last year and untouched, lol! The Rosewood one! xxx I love how you finish starting the Crazies then go and begin a different one, lol!

Carolyn said...

Hope and pray things are going well for you. Miss your blogging.Come back soon with good news!!