Monday, December 7, 2020

Advent Blog Hop Day 7

Welcome to the Advent Blog Hop organized by Jo on her blog, Serendipitous Stitching.  Each day she has a link on her blog to another blog with something they have stitched pertaining to Christmas.  Then she has asked that we share our favorite Christmas book.  If you haven't been to Jo's blog, I really encourage you to do so.  Her stitching is something to be admired, and she has a variety of designers that she likes.  She also has different challenges throughout the year, very generously pointing folks to other stitcher's blogs.  I love the stitching community, they are usually so kind with their comments and encouraging me to try new things.  You can go to Jo's Advent blog post, Serendipitous Stitching by clicking here.




I finished this piece a year or two ago, but just recently popped it into a frame.  This is called Holy Nativity and was a Dimensions kit.  I've been told it is no longer available, and I gave my copy to someone sitting at my table at the retreat I was attending when I finished it.  I love how the window looks like it was lit from within.  I collect nativities, and this was gifted to me from a friend...so it soon became a priority to stitch.

My favorite story to read this time of year is the story of Jesus' birth from the book of Luke in the Bible.  I try to read it during the advent season and each year I find something new that I haven't seen before.  Our church is having a Bible study on Luke right now, so I've been digging a little deeper into the story, and using a book about the customs of the time have learned even more that makes the story so much more alive to me.  

My second favorite book is one I hope to read to my Grandkids when (or if) I have them is a book by Max Lucado called Itsy Bitsy Christmas You're Never Too Little For His Love.  It's the story about two small mice on their way to Bethlehem...and the characters they meet along the way telling them they are too small to make the journey.  Such a sweet story!



I hope you enjoy your journey through the Advent season...make sure you stop by Jo's blog every day to meet and hear the story of the next person who contributed to her calendar!  Merry Christmas and Happy Stitching!

15 comments:

A Patchwork of Crafts said...

Love that nativity, you are right that window has a warm glow that is very inviting. Have you come across the works of Titus Flavius Josephus, they are an interesting background read to many of the books and chapters that share space with your first choice of Christmas reading. It took me ages to find a copy of his book in a second hand bookshop located in a former church in London (but that was a long time ago and I understand his works are available in paperback now from lots of places) now I can mention that as it is not letting out any early secrets as his is not my favourite Christmas book. Thank you for sharing yours.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

That Nativity is just so beautiful, the colours just glow.
Thanks for sharing your favourite books too. It's nice that your Bible Group are sharing Luke this year too.

Elfie said...

Your Nativity is quite stunningly beautiful. The frame you have chozen really sets it off well. Merry Christmas!

Clare-Aimetu said...

Your nativity is beautiful. Thank you for sharing the Bible as your book choice, the meaning of Christmas

Barb said...

Your stitched piece is just so beautiful! The book of Luke has 25 chapters so one year we read a chapter a day during Advent. It must be quite an interesting Bible study. A very Merry Christmas to you and your family.

FlashinScissors said...

Your nativity scene is beautiful!
Wishing you a Very Happy Christmas!
Hugs,
Barbara xx

Sheryl said...

The Nativity stitching is beautiful and the frame just perfect.

Mary - Lecoeurceltique said...

The nativity scene is beautiful. It looks 3D.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Your Nativity is stunning! Too bad the pattern wasn't still available because I'm sure many people would love to make it. The Bible story is my favourite too - but I will be keeping my eye open for the Itsy Bitsy book for my grandkids.

BronnyB said...

Your Nativity is lovely and the colours illuminate the scene so well. Isn't it lovely to have a collection of books ready to read for treasured Grandchildren? I have a small selection, but none about Christmas, thank you I will look into this one too.
Merry Christmas

Astrids dragon said...

Certainly a lovely piece, the scene and colours are so beautiful.
I'm a little behind already, but SHINE-FM is also doing a Luke reading, perfect time of the year for it.
Awe, you can't go wrong with Max Lucado!
Happy Christmas to you and your growing family.

jocondine said...

Such a lovely pattern, great colors and the black and wood frame is perfect. Joyeux Noël ! xxx

gracie said...

Beautiful vibrant colors in your stitched piece... very nice.

Christine said...

What a lovely piece, the colours in the window really seem to glow

Katie said...

Fantastic post. Thanks for sharing. Wishing you and your family a very Merry Christmas.