Sunday, September 8, 2019

Fairly good news!

So.....I've been super busy BUT I moved my schedule around and made time to drop a few items off at the Maryland State Fair!  I've thought about this for years but I was never in the right place at the right time.  After talking to a few of my online stitching friends, they convinced me I should enter.  I entered 4 items, and received 4 blue ribbons and a President's Award.  (The President of the fair committee will chose an item from one area of the fair that is a personal favorite of hers.  I'm honored that she chose one of mine!)  Here are pictures of the items I submitted...

Royal Garden by Debbee's Designs.  This won the President's award along with a blue ribbon and is one of my favorite finishes I've had.  It was a challenging piece but I was so happy with the finish!!




Blue Poppy Learning Sampler by Tempting Tangles.  I loved stitching on this one too, all the different stitches were a fun challenge to learn!



Mystery Spot Sampler by Wiehenburg Designs.  This was stitched on 36 count over one with a Gloriana Silk floss.  I LOVED how this one turned out too....using overdyed thread is challenging to make it look "even" and was hard to make it look good to my eye.



And last was the Mill Hill Kit nativity I finished stitching on fabric and finishing into stuffed stand up characters.  I can hardly wait for Christmas so I can display this one this year!!



Now the stitching begins for next year!  I honestly was hoping for at least one ribbon, I never expected to do this well....so I hope it doesn't come across as bragging....isn't it true that we are our own worst critics?  I hope this gives you courage to go out and enter something in a fair near you!

I've been taking part in a challenge at the Stitching Post, our LNS near Baltimore.  I have a special page (the tab is located at the top) and will also post this there, but I finished the piece that was on my list to finish this month.  This is Let It Snow by Blackberry Lane designs.  I changed a few of the things, the outline on the letters is a little lighter than they called for, and I couched the swirls instead of back stitching and whip stitching like it suggested.  I think I like it better that way!  This was a fun stitch!  




Now I'm on to finishing the last ornament I have on my challenge for this month.  I'll be finished with that soon....then whatever will I stitch?  I'll be all caught up!  LOL

I hope you are safe and dry wherever you are.  I know the East Coast was a little rattled this past week with a visit from Dorian.  Thankfully it didn't hit Florida where a lot of our relatives live and our North Carolina relatives are safe too.  Now....off to get more stitching done....Happy Stitching!

6 comments:

Vickie said...

Oh DJ! CONGRATULATIONS! You did so very, very well my friend! Just wOw!
Your little ornament is so darling!

Katie said...

Wow Congrats on your winnings. You definitely deserved the awards they are gorgeous pieces. Love the new ornament. Beautiful!!! Enjoy your fun stitching time now that you're caught up on your requirements.

Usefularts said...

Fairly good news? Clever play in words. You chose some good ones, the Spot sampler is my favorite, maybe because of seeing you work on it. Pat

Robin in Virginia said...

Congratulations on your winning entries at your state fair, DJ! Well done! Your 'Let It Snow' piece is adorable. Love your choice of fabric and I love the snowman and scene!

Meari said...

Congrats on your ribbons. Love your snowman finish. So-so cute!

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Congratulations on your ribbons! I can see why the judges chose them, each one has something a little different to make them stand out from the crowd. And they are beautifully stitched too, of course!