Thursday, April 14, 2011

Multiple finishes!!

Hi there! I know I've been missing in action for a little while, but I have been resting and relaxing and getting quite a bit of stitching done! So...where do I begin?

Well, let's start with today, shall we? Today is UFO day on Friendly Stitchers yahoo group, so in order to avoid the wet noodle, I was an obedient friendly stitcher and worked on my long suffering but now COMPLETED UFO!! So, without further ado and with MUCH fanfare, I give you...the Rose Quaker from Stickideen von der Wiehenburg!
It is propped up on the flowers that Alice brought me today!! Alice and I discussed it today and I thought I would show it with something so you can see how small it is (stitched over one) and delicate, I hope this puts it in perspective...



I thought I would give it a little personalization and thank heavens Alice dropped by today with a meal (can you smell the stew simmering on the stove?) and some GREAT advice! We decided since there were a few motifs with some clear space inside we would use them to showcase my initials and the date. I love the idea, I love the way it came out, and I'm so thankful for everything today, Alice! So here are my additions to the piece that personalized it.



Now I know some of you will read this post and wonder...a few people called and asked how I was doing (thank you for your phone calls, it's humbling and comforting to know that so many of you care) and wanted to stop by to see me. I told them no until Alice called. This last surgery took the wind out of my sails. To be honest, the days leading up to it were some of the worst days I've had since I was diagnosed. I feel like I've had to be the strong one for a very long time and I am tired. I ran out of all the "right stuff" that was within me and I kind of lost it and fell into this pit of mourning and despair. A lot has happened to me in the past two years. I've gone plowing through stuff and tried to move on, and I didn't really deal with the loss of my Dad, nor did I deal with the diagnosis of cancer and the loss of several body parts (LOL) and I realized the other day that I feel like I've lost my femininity, some of the things that define us as women. I've put "captions" on my emotions and I feel like I can move on now, but it took quite a few days to get to this point. So for those people I said "no" to visiting, forgive me, it had NOTHING to do with you, and EVERYTHING to do with my inner healing. I'm ready to be around others now, and Alice, thank you so much for the beautiful flowers, the wonderful stew, for the walk in the fresh air, and for being such a wonderful friend.




Whew...*drying the soggy keyboard* ok...on with the other finishes...

I was able to work on two smaller pieces from the Crazy January Challenge right after surgery, they were small enough to work "in hand" without a frame so I worked until I finished them. Sonya came by on Saturday to "babysit" me while my guys went to a baseball double header. We watched "Downton Abbey" on DVD which we both LOVE!! and stitched for quite a few hours. Thank you for babysitting me, Sonya, and for dinner (a WONDERFUL salad from Atlanta Bread Company AND the muffin top! LOL) I'm SO spoiled...AND...she brought me roses!! Aren't they beautiful!!



And I was able to finish Mending by Erica Michaels. This was a kit given to me for my birthday last year from Wendy! I can't wait to get it framed...thanks again Wendy!!


The next day I finished Lucy Pryor's Pocketwatch Sampler from Samplar Works! Sonya designed this piece, and gave the kit to me for my birthday last year. She gave me a box with a frame lid to put it in and when I get my act together I'll get it together and post another picture. Just to clear up any confusion, when Sonya was here we were discussing what date I should put on it...and since it was a gift for my 50th birthday last year, I decided to put last years date on it. Thanks again, Sonya!! Thanks for the gift, for babysitting me, and for being my friend!


Then Monday rolled around, and it WAS the day I stitched along with Babs on Heart of America by Little House Needleworks. I read that she had finished stitching hers, and left me in the dust! LOL She personalized hers in a very meaningful way, and I loved what she did. I was boring and just used this years date, but I finally finished mine. I have the frame ready to go, and...(I sound like a broken record)...when I get my act together I'll get it put together.


So...that is FOUR finishes in the past week! Three of them were from the Crazy January Challenge! I don't recall how many I have left, but they are dwindling down, and if I keep this up, with at least one finish a month, I will actually complete the challenge by the end of December! Yay!

The weather was absolutely gorgeous today! And...DH bought the right kind of bird seed to entice the goldfinches to our back yard. Today as Alice and I were sitting at the dining room table, a flock of them showed up and I was able to get this terribly grainy, fuzzy picture of a few of them feasting at my bird feeder! It prompted Alice and I to head to the nearest "Wild Birds Unlimited" store nearby and buy some feeders designed specifically for Goldfinches. What fun I'm going to have now...and so will you Alice, these birds are so much fun to watch!



And with that I'll bid you a fond adieu! Hope you have a wonderful evening! And I'll be here, wondering what I'll stitch tonight...LOL *Hugs*

9 comments:

Connie said...

It's so good to see you feeling better! Good friends and beautiful flowers really brighten up the day, don't they.

Your Rose Quaker looks wonderful - I hope it's okay for me to borrow your initial placement idea when I get to that point on mine. Your in-hand stitching also looks great.

Gillie said...

Oh, I am green with envy that a) you finished that gorgeous Rose sampler and b) you don't get the Wet Noodle directed to you! Great idea on the initials. WISH I was closer!

Mouse said...

wooo hooo happy dance :) lovely idea with the initials :) and love the bird feeders :) glad you feeling much better and enjoyed the company :) love mouse xxxx

Niina said...

They are all so beutifull DJ! Your initials fit so good in there, it is really successful add!

Babs in Alabama said...

Happy dancing for you in drizzling Alabama today! I can't tell you how happy I was to see a post from tickled pink :) You sound so good, DJ, and it can only get better and better since you've stopped and faced yourself and your feelings. Wish I could give you a big old hug! Your finishes are amazing. A Rose Quaker to go with all your pretty roses and stitching to mend the soul and honoring our freedom...'bout covered it all, huh?
love you,
Babs

Astrids dragon said...

So glad to see you "up & about" here. I love your finished Rose Quaker, so lovely! You have been busy, finishing up your projects.

As for everything else, one day at a time. You've got some great friends here who will support you, listen to you and best of all, pray for you!

Looking forward to our next stitching get together! Sending hugs.

Tricia T said...

What beautiful finishes, DJ - and I'm so thankful that you've been able to spend a little time processing everything that you've gone through. Be sure to spend time with the Lord, get some rest, and eat right over these next few weeks while you heal - both inside and out. Blessings!!

Edy said...

You "sound" terrific! And you've been so energetic! Your finishes are lovely, especially the Quaker. Oh to be able to see well enough (even with a magnifier) to stitch over one...I would really like to do that with some of the larger pieces I am always drawn to.

As far as that "femininity" thing, just remember, YOU ARE WOMAN! and that's about as feminine as one can be.

Love Ya.......(((((((((((dj))))))))))))
Edy

Tricia T said...

Hi DJ! I need your address, cuz you are the lucky recipient of the Traveling Stash!! :-) My email is in my profile!