Sunday, July 15, 2018

Gifted, Christmas in July, and other news...

Well....here it is July already.  Good heavens this year is just flying by!  News, news and more news, so let's get started with Gifted Gorgeousness for July.

So, if this is the first time visiting my blog, thanks for stopping by!  On the 15 of the month we showcase our gifts.  They might be a pattern, fabric of floss that has been  given to us, or something we made to give to someone else.  If you want to see the "official rules", you can visit Jo over at Serendipitous Stitching or sign up  you can click here.  If you want to see what everyone else has been stitching, you can click here.

If you have been following my blog for a while you'll know that my husband gave me a set of the Mill Hills Nativity.  There were 9 all together, with the angels, wise men, shepherds and the Holy Family.  It took me a few years, but I finally got them all stitched on 28 count Sage Lugana fabric rather than the perforated paper that came with the kits.  I was going to make them into cubes, but some of my savvy, crafty friends suggested I have them made into stand ups.  That was a lightbulb moment!  Aren't we glad we have those friends to bounce ideas off of?  So....I sent the first three off to have made into stand ups...and here they are!










Didn't the finisher do a lovely job?  I collect nativities so I'm really thrilled with the results and am so thankful for creative friends!!  

I've been stitching some of Sue Hillis little designs for ornaments.  I'm still frantically trying to stitch ornaments for other people I promised to them, and for the retreat in the fall for Pat Carson.  So here are a couple from Sue Hillis' patterns.  these are stitched on 32 ct. white over two.  Sorry for the off color pictures.




I've done a couple of exchanges for Christmas in July.  Here are two that I have stitched and fully finished.  I sent a long a few goodies with them too!  The first is from a JCS ornament issue.  I found it in a 10th anniversary book, so I'm not completely sure which year it was originally published.  This is stitched on 28 ct. Blueberry lugana....it calls for 25 ct but I couldn't find any.




The second I found in an ornament book.  My partner likes trains, and I thought this was perfect.  She has received it along with her scissor fob.  I hope she enjoys them as much as I did making them for her!  This was stitched on 36 ct. natural linen over 1.







This is called Stitcher's House by Sub Rosa.  I made this as a gift for someone, I just need to get it finally finished.  I'm not quite sure what I'm going to do with it, so stay tuned!  If you have any ideas, I'd be happy to hear them!  This is stitched on 40 ct over two using the recommended threads.



Just recently a friend found this kit, and gifted it to me.  Do you see the Nativity?  I just couldn't wait to start it, so I found some 36 count linen I had stashed and started this right away.  I can't wait to get past the blended threads in the snow!! 



Last, but certaninly not least, is my Winter's Majesty.  This was a gift from my husband several years ago.  I usually only work on her on Wednesdays...but have missed a couple as you can see.  I will be happy to have her finished, but she is big and difficult with all the specialty threads and backstitching.  Anyway, here is where she is at present.  I won't be able to stitch on her for a while.



The retreat that I have signed up for in the fall has asked for donations for an auction they are doing to help a wounded military member and his family.  My friend and I decided to put together a basket of patriotic goodies.  I stitched a little Barbara Anna pattern that will be made into a pillow, and made a few patriotic doo dads to go along with it.  Here they are!




We are adding a pattern with the fabric and floss, and a pair of scissors.  My friend's husband is making the basket.  I'm not sure what else we are putting in there, but I'm half tempted to bid on the basket myself!  haha

I've been in NY for a couple of weeks.  My Mother was recently in the hospital so I came back to help out for a little while.  I just got home last night and this was waiting for me!  I think someone missed me!! 




I hope everyone is well and happy and getting lots of stitching done!  Take Care!






10 comments:

Meari said...

Your nativity set turned out beautifully. Kudos on your other finishes, and progress on your WIPs. They all look great! I do have a question about your doo dads... there looks to be a magnet on the bottom of a beaded thing. What is it? Hopefully, your Mom is doing better? What a nice welcome home gift!

Jo said...

Fabulous stitching, love how the nativity stands on its own. I'm looking forward to seeing Winter's Majesty finished as well xx

Ariadne said...

You have stitched some amazing things there but the standing nativity set is really gorgeous and will make a family heirloom!Congratulations!AriadnefromGreece!

Vickie said...

Oh the Nativity!! Super! Love the Stitcher's House too!

Justine said...

In love your nativities, the figures turned out perfectly and the new kit is stunning. You have been busy and so generous with your time and talents. That basket is going to be amazing, I would bid for it for the scissor fob alone and I'm not even American! (as the lucky recipient of a beautiful scissor fob from you in the past I know what I'm talking about!)
Much love to you, hope your Mum is improving.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Thanks for taking part in GG this month. I love the way you had the Nativity finished. It makes a great game too - guess which one is which from the back! Love that fabric.

I think making a basket is a great idea and you've got some great things to go in it. I really like the scissor charms.

Hope Mum is feeling better now. The flowers are a nice Welcome Back but the ice-cream is even better!

Katie said...

So many beautiful pieces. Love your finished nativity pieces. Love your new start. Beautiful other finishes too. I forgot you are going to that retreat. I'm pretty sure it's the same one I'm going to in Hershey area. I can't wait to meet you.

Julie said...

Such a beautiful nativity.
A delightful basket to be filled with such pretties.
Always something lovely to see when I visit with you.

DreamNT said...

You created a very interesting article in.Thank you very much.








อเมริกาเหนือ-ใต้

Kaisievic said...

Love the Nativity set - can't wait to see the rest of them finished. Lots of other lovely pieces, too, DJ - you are most prolific.