Saturday, November 9, 2013

Thank you

It's Veteran's Day weekend, and I wanted to take a minute to thank the men and women who faithfully serve or have served in our Armed Forces.  This post has nothing to do with stitching...and I won't apologize for that.  My husband served in the Army for over 20 years, retiring nearly 10 years ago now.  We were in Germany when the twin towers fell in New York City and the Pentagon was attacked.  I remember vividly the day that happened, and wrote these words which were later published in the Stars and Stripes Newspaper.  I still feel the same way and am proud to have known so many (including members of my family) who honorably wore their uniforms. 

I pass by soldiers everyday, wearing their helmets, flack vests and
carrying rifles. They check my ID and as I pass, I thank them for being
there. I apologize for them standing in the rain…I feel responsible
because they are there to protect me. I wonder how many of their
comrades they lost in the Pentagon tragedy. I wonder how many of them
will still be alive in a few months. I look into their eyes and wonder
why they signed up for the military…and I’m half tempted to ask them.
They look so tired, many of them work 15 hours or more a day now with
very little sleep. I wonder if it fits the image they had of soldiers
when they ran through fields as children pretending to be brave and
conquering the enemies. I wish to thank them for defending our freedom,
for being brave, for laying their lives on the line so that we can
enjoy the life we have. Our troops not only fight in wars, they rescue
people from disasters, they live in the mud training for weeks in all
kinds of weather so they will be prepared for times like these. They
also have many separations from their loved ones, missing birthdays,
anniversaries, holidays and the birth of their children. I wonder if
their sacrifice is worth it to the people they protect and assist. I
heard one commander say once, that the job these people do EVERY DAY is
to just be there…if they do their job as a ready force, other countries
are less likely to invade us, and a war is less likely. What would make
a person sign up to defend ALL kinds of people in our country? They are
defending good citizens as well as bad, the people who contribute to
society and those that don’t. It’s a thankless job, and people often
treat military as the dregs of society, I know…I’ve seen it. But under
their uniforms, their hearts beat. I’ve seen soldiers passing out candy
to children on their way to school. I’ve seen them line up to donate
blood; I’ve seen them volunteer to do dangerous duty in countries that
don’t want us there. I’ve seen them teach Sunday school, volunteer as
mentors in schools, as scout leaders, and as coaches in school sports.
There are a few bad ones in the bunch, but most of them believe they
are there for a noble cause, and that makes me proud to know them. I
know many that are Christians, who are not afraid to stand up for their
Lord, and who imitate Christ unashamed. I can barely find the words to
say how I feel, and even what I have said doesn’t do them justice. To
the many men and women who serve in our armed forces…. Thank you from
the bottom of my heart. Sincerely,  (Proud wife of a
soldier)

3 comments:

Kathy said...

Well said.

leftystitcher said...

I'm so glad you have the words to say what a lot of us have in our hearts but don't have the words. Thank you for sharing

Ruth said...

Here here!

And, drop by my blog for an announcement ;-)