Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Veteran's Day Weekend...

I  know I must sound like a broken record, but just had to let you know about our weekend.  My Mom called last week and asked if we were free Veteran's Day weekend.  We weren't...but shuffled things around and made a mad dash to Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania to meet up with my sister and my Mom.  She had some things she wanted to give us that she didn't want to send through the mail, so we met halfway between our homes to exchange Christmas presents and to spend a little time together.  I love spontaneous events like this and in all honesty, it was nice not to have to drive the entire 9 hours one way to visit them.  Thanks, guys, for meeting us half way.  What a lot of fun it was and I hope we can do that again soon!

I started out as the driver to Pennsylvania.  Of course, since DH was sitting down...he fell asleep.   I tell you, the man can sleep anywhere!!




We visited Hickory Run State Park to see the boulder field that my Mom has talked about many times but I have never seen.  Apparently, millions of years ago a glacier deposited these boulders when it stopped it's southern advance.  I'm told you can hear water running if you stand farther out in the field, but the shoes I had on would not allow me to travel too far out and still balance on those boulders.  Next time I'll bring sneakers!!  It was astonishing and the pictures really do not show how big the expanse is where these boulders are.  




There are streams running all through the park with such clear water you can see to the bottom of the creeks.  



And there are a few dams along the way creating these lovely waterfalls.

One dam created this lovely lake.  I think we visited on the perfect day as it was such a beautiful day, not a cloud in the sky...warm temperatures and not a lick of wind.  Made for some lovely reflections on the water.





This little chapel is next to one of the dams as well...and the sound of the water is so soothing.  I can see a wedding taking place here, can't you?

We stopped at this place to eat.  I can remember my Dad taking us here when we were small, and after having one of their famous foot long hotdogs with the homemade relish they tasted exactly the same.  It brought back a flood of memories of visiting my Grandmother and Aunts, Uncles and cousins.  It's been years since I've had one of those!!  They were my Dad's favorite and we never missed going to the Ranch Wagon when we were in town.

We didn't have time to see everyone, but we did stop to see my cousin as she was only a few miles from the park we visited.  We got to see her daughter and twin granddaughters too.  It was a fun visit.

I made these cross bookmarks for my Mom and sister...another thing I've been doing lately.  When the Pastor's wife learned I could make bookmarks, she asked me to make them for baby dedications and baptisms, so I've been trying to make them differently as I go along.  I like doing it...and wish they wouldn't tell them where the crosses come from.  Once people know you can crochet, then you get a lot of requests for things.  I guess I shouldn't complain...

Not much stitching has been getting done, but you can see I've been busy with other things at the moment.  The scarf I mentioned in the last post was given to my Mom as a Christmas gift.  She loved it, and was as surprised as I was that the sequins don't seem to bother our necks, you can't really feel them.  Now my sister wants one...LOL

So...that's all the news that's fit to print.  I hope you all had a great weekend, and that you were able to thank those who have sacrificed so much to protect our way of life.  They are not the ones starting the wars, but they are sent into harms way by the powers that be.  Most of the men and women I have met in the armed forces have been honorable, selfless people and I am thankful they do the job they do so we remain safe.  Thank you for  your service!  See you soon!  *Hugs*

 

4 comments:

Tricia T said...

The boulder field looks so interesting! What an amazing display of God's power!! I love the bookmarks you've been making - the white one especially. It reminds me of one my great-aunt always had in her Bible. Glad to hear you can still crochet with your carpal tunnel problems. Are your wrists feeling any better?

Tricia

Nicola said...

Thank you for sharing, its such fun to see the world through others eyes.

Maggee said...

What an interesting park! Cool to see that tree that is nearly sideways! I love waterfalls. When we go to Garrett County, MD to visit family, we often visit Herrington Manor State Park and Swallow Falls. My kids loved going there when they were younger! Glad you got to get a visit with family in on such a great day! Hugs!

Denise SA said...

Those waterfalls look beautiful thank you for sharing