Sunday, December 26, 2010

Joy to the World


“Do not be afraid. I bring you good news that will cause great joy for all the people. Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is the Messiah, the Lord. Luke 2: 10 -11

Merry Christmas!

I love Christmas! Not just for the carols, or the good food, or the presents. It's the story behind all the traditions. It's the story of the birth of our King, our Savior, our Counselor, and our friend, Jesus! It's a story of hope, peace, joy and love! It's a story full of miracles, intrigue, passion, forgiveness and love. I read the story each year and each year I "hear" something different that makes my relationship with my Lord even more special. This year I learned that there were a lot of "bad apples" in Jesus bloodline that tells me that no matter what we've done there is still hope for us to be "adopted" into the family. David was one of the bad apples, but look!! Not only was he in the bloodline, but the Angel mentioned him specifically that Jesus would be born in they city named after him!! I also learned that Jesus dwelt among us so that we may dwell with Him in heaven! What a sweet promise that is and what great joy I received when I heard it! So I'm wishing Jesus a very Happy Birthday this year, and hoping that His birth will bring you peace, hope, joy and love this year.

The picture posted here is from one of my nativities. DH promised me that if we were ever stationed in Germany (and we were toward the end of his military career) that he would find a hand carved nativity for me, and these are a few of the pieces in that nativity. We traveled to a city called Oberammergau where a Passion Play is performed every 10 years since 1638. We visited a few shops that sold hand carved pieces and found this particular set. Oberammergau is really a lovely little German town, with beautiful paintings on the sides of a lot of the buildings portraying the life of Christ. When the bubonic plague was raging in Europe, it came to the town of Oberammergau. The citizens of the town came together and vowed to perform the Passion Play every ten years if the Lord would prevent another death from the plague. The Lord kept his promise, and so have the people of Oberammergau. I keep this nativity out all year to remind me of the love of our Lord who came to Earth to live among us, and to die for our sins, but also of the miracle He performed in Oberammergau all those years ago and how the faith of His people still exist in that beautiful town in Germany today.

May you have a Merry Christmas and a blessed New Year! *Hugs*

3 comments:

Edy said...

Merry Merry Christmas, DJ, to you and your fantastic husband and son.

"May the Lord make His countanance to shine upon you!

Maggee said...

Happy After! Your hand-carved German nativity is exquisite! Just beautiful! Blessings to you and yours this Christmas time!

Carol's Stitching said...

What a beautiful nativity DJ! So glad you enjoyed Christmas and you sound wonderful. Happy New Year 2011.