Friday, November 25, 2016

Giving Thanks


It's that time of year when we pause and give thanks.  I truly have so much to be thankful for!  We are healthy, we truly love one another, and we have everything we need to include a warm house to live in, food and clothing.  After the year that we've had, it's feels good to be home and be at peace for the time being.  Life has taught me that this can change in an instant, so I will never take this peace for granted.  Thank you, Lord!

It's been an eventful week!  I've never hosted a Thanksgiving meal before, so this was entirely new for me!  Thanks to my friends who gave me advice, encouraged me and most importantly, gave me some awesome recipes, we successfully navigated our first real dinner party.  I have to say, it was a little nerve wracking, but in the end, everyone ate well, nobody got sick, and we had fun.  Yes, I would do it again!  But I would hope to have a little more preparation time so I could get organized a little sooner!!  LOL  Here's the whole gang...please disregard the man in the Elf suit...he gets a little carried away when we have guests...


I was asked to show pictures of my china cabinet, so here are some of my pieces...



Here are the cups that belong to my Grandparents.

The pink depression glass candy dish.


The silver coffee service my college roommate gave us as a wedding gift, all polished up, and the Anniversary plate that was my Mom and Dad's and now ours, and one of the Lenox candle holders!




The cross stitched gifts through the years...

 And last, our table set for our guests.  I don't have the opportunity to use the china often, so it was a real pleasure to use them yesterday.  I really need to have guests over more often.



Now the hustle and bustle begins for preparation for Christmas.  How appropriate that we pause to be thankful for the things we have in this moment....and I hope we carry that through the next few weeks.  My goal this year is to remember how blessed we are, to try to bring blessings to others, and to remember the true meaning behind this holiday, that a savior was born to redeem us....now THAT is something to be truly thankful for.
 

5 comments:

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

I'm glad it all went well, I shan't ask about the elf!
You have a lovely collection of china and I like the way you've added your gifted stitching in there too.

Mary - Lecoeurceltique said...

I'm glad your day went well. Thank you for the photos from your china cabinet. You have some lovely and precious things associated with your memories.

Mouse said...

Yeahhhh so pleased all went well ... gorgeous photo of you all and glad DS girlfriend could make it too ... and ooooo I see something I have made for you there ... love mouse xxxxxx

Desiree Ehleiter said...

Your china is gorgeous. So happy to hear that your dinner went well. Thek first one is the hardest. A few more and you will be a pro!

Astrids dragon said...

So glad you had a great time making memories! Everything looks lovely in the cabinet, how nice to use the special dishes.
I like the way you turned the table, much more room!
Miss you!