Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Sew overwhelmed!

Just another chaotic day here at DJ's digs...I'm sitting here at my computer when I should be in  my stitching place slaving away...right???  LOL!!

Just in the past week, I've undertaken a few new projects.  Some I asked for, some I did not, and some I just wanted to because I wanted to!!  But in the end, I feel like a hamster on a wheel.  Spinning like crazy but not getting anywhere fast.

Well, poor Mom will have to wait on her afghan...but mostly due to her own fault.  Why, you ask?  Because she decided to take an office in her organization where she will have a staff, and she wants homemade gifts for them for Christmas.  She THINKS I'm good at crocheting cross bookmarks and thought that would be a dandy gift.  Yay me...LOL!!  So...I'm making 12 bookmarks.  The first one she didn't like...



So...on to the next...wrong colors...



Hopefully SOME of these will work for her...



I guess this little beauty will have to wait a while longer.  Maybe I'll get it to her before summer...wish us both luck!  LOL!!



The group I belonged to that did a round robin last year...you know the one I haven't finished yet?  This one...




has decided to do another one.  I have decided on a chart from a magazine called Berries, Birds and Blooms by Blue Ribbon Designs... here is my start so far.  I'm hung up on trying to decide if I will personalize it with the title of the group again...decisions, decisions.  I suppose I can wait until it gets back to me...but...I'm afraid it will end up unfinished like the last one...




In trying to decide on a project for the above group, I stumbled across this little beauty.  I debated on using this as the round robin, but since the fabric I had chosen was 40 count, and when I started stitching it was a challenge for me, I decided it wasn't such a good choice for this years project.  So...here is the beginning, I wonder if I will ever finish it....but honestly...I LOVE working on this one!  This is the Weathervane, by Little House Needleworks.  For now it will have to remain on the back burner...*sigh*




Last, but not least, is my little plug for October, and Breast Cancer Awareness month.  In the past few months a dear friend, the mother of a young man at church, the friend of a lady at church and the friend's sister have all been diagnosed with breast cancer.  Some were found with routine mammograms (as was mine), and some found through other means.  It's so important to have your screening done!!  Or at the very least, do your monthly breast exams.  You may not realize it, or even feel like it, but those around you, your friends, coworkers and loved ones depend on you.  So....I found this amazing pattern on the internet, and decided to make something.  It will be for one of those mentioned above, and my guess is I'll be making quite a few (unfortunately).  But the most awesome news is that being diagnosed today means there is so much more hope and advanced treatments than when I was diagnosed 4 years ago that there is hope that you will be cured.  So please...get checked annually.  Those who love you will thank you!!  Here is my progress on this project...



I was invited by my cousin last week to get together to make some pillows for the breast cancer patients at Johns Hopkins Hospital.  I enlisted the help of the lovely Miss M and her husband, we were joined by my husband and friends of my cousin to stuff and sew 98 lovely pillows.  My prayer is that they will find a cure fast so we don't have to make any more of these pillows soon!  Thanks again for the invite, Cuz, and I hope we can see one another soon!





Today is my Dad's birthday.  It's been more than 5 years now since he passed.  There are times my heart aches at his passing, I miss him so much.  I love that his birthday is in the fall, as it has always been my favorite time of year, so even though it is so sad that I miss him, I can't help feeling warm and wistful on his birthday.  Love and miss you, Dad.  Happy Birthday!


1 comment:

Linda said...

Lovely post DJ.

Linda