Sunday, September 6, 2020

It's a lady...who is Coming to America!

Hi Fellow Stitchers!

Who is joining me in the journey of stitching Coming to America?  I set sail today with a wake-up text from a few friends I know here in Maryland who are sailing with me.  I thought this was a fantastic idea...we are starting to stitch this project today because it is the 400th anniversary of the start of the voyage the Pilgrims took in the journey to America.  I love the idea of these brave men and especially women who made the arduous journey to the New World to ensure religious freedom.  And the best part, is they brought their needlework with them!  What a great reason to celebrate!  We will be stitching for 66 days, the length of their voyage across the ocean!  I've been stitching off and on since 8:00 this morning, and here is where I am 12 hours later.  This is stitched on 40 count Vintage Mocha over two.




I wanted to show you where I finished with United We Stand.  Here is the top all finished.  I have the 4 sides to complete yet.  I am tossed whether to make this into the pin cushion, or actually frame it like it is....decisions decisions.  It's much larger than I expected, but it will have to wait until Coming to America is finished, so I have time to think about it.  If you have an opinion, please comment below!  This is stitched on 36 count over two.




Off I go now to work on Coming to America.  Wish me luck and a fair wind!  With the wedding looming I'm running out of time to stitch...fingers crossed I'll finish in time.  Happy Stitching Sailing y'all!

5 comments:

Mary - Lecoeurceltique said...

A 66 days stitching challenge on Coming to America is a good idea. Enjoy your stitching journey, DJ.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

What a fun way to stitch a sampler!
Nice work on the United We Stand too. It would look good in a square frame if you don't feel like making a pincushion!

Robin in Virginia said...

Have fun on your Mayflower journey, DJ! I will be here cheering you on during these 66 days.

How big is your United We Stand piece right now? I think it would look lovely in a square frame.

Clare-Aimetu said...

Good luck with Coming to America - a few years ago I did Clare's Challenge 50 where Hubby and I walked the London Marathon route in stages. We took our lunch stop on one stage at the Mayflower pub, it was amazing to sit in the original building. This is the link to my blog post about our visit, there's photos so you can see what it's like
http://clareschallenge50.blogspot.com/2016/02/over-half-way.html

Jo campbell said...

Loving all your stitching & wow! What an amazing day was had by all, congratulations to your son & daughter 💖 I’m a 31 year cervical cancer survivor & walk to raise awareness for any cancer every year so very proud of you my dear friend xx