Sunday, February 16, 2020

One year...


I debated whether to write this post, but I decided I would.  It was a year ago today that I lost my Mom.  Some days are harder than others.  This past week was one of the hardest.  I'm not sure why.  Maybe it's because I attended the funeral and wake for Heather's Step Dad.  Maybe it's because it's been a cold and dreary, rainy week.  Maybe it's because I found a dress for the wedding and I know my Mom would have wanted to help me look.  Maybe it's because we are talking more about the wedding and I know my Mom would have had great ideas and would have loved being a part of the planning.  Maybe it's because it was Valentine's Day a couple of days ago, and I always sent her flowers.  It felt wrong that I didn't do it this year.  It all seems so foreign without her to talk to...I miss her.  A day doesn't pass when I don't think of her.

Buying the sewing chest and filling it with her things makes me feel like she is close.  I hope she likes where I placed her belongings.  She loved seeing the things I stitched, and always had such nice things to say.  She was so creative, there are times I miss asking her things, or seeking her advice.  But...life goes on...so I'll pack up those happy memories and pull them out on weeks like last week.  I'll think of her when I see a yellow rose, 


or a red cardinal.  


I'll think of her when I see violets, 


or hummingbirds.  


I may not see her face on this earth, but her heart never left.  I miss you Mom.  

6 comments:

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

It's a lovely idea to remember your Mum here. She was clearly a nature and animal lover (her shirt gives that away!) as so many beautiful things remind you of her.
I am sure she will be with you in spirit for the wedding. I wore my Nana's engagement ring at my wedding so a little bit of her was there too.

Vickie said...

How lovely DJ. My Stepdad just passed last month. I understand this. God bless you my friend.

Kay said...

Hugs and prayers for you. x

Katie said...

Lovely tribute post. Thanks for sharing. (((Hugs)))

Robin in Virginia said...

DJ, what a lovely post you have written. She will always be in your heart and in your treasured memories. Sending gentle hugs your way.

Julie said...

A beautiful heartfelt post. I think all of us who have lost a parent can identify with exactly what you have said.
Love and {{hugs}} xx