Monday, October 14, 2019

Happy Birthday, Dad

October is a month full of memories.  Today would have been my Dad's 87th Birthday.  I was reading some messages in a group I belong to and they were talking about their Dad's and the lessons they learned from them.  My Dad was pretty impressive.  He was a jack of all trades.  He could fix just about anything, and if he couldn't fix it, he would re-purpose it.  I learned a lot more about him when I was cleaning out their house after my Mom died earlier this year.  She missed him terribly.  They were married 50 years before he passed 10 years ago.  He never made it past the 8th grade, but what he knew in life experiences could have earned him a PhD.  He worked 3 jobs at the same time most of his life except when he served in the Navy during the Korean conflict.  Though he didn't have any sons, he would not limit us to just "girly" stuff.  We went fishing (even fishing through the ice!!), we helped work on building an addition to their house, he tried to teach us about cars, but I kinda drew the line at getting grease on my hands...much to my lament now!!  haha  I could go on and on.  He had a huge heart and loved his grandkids with a passion.  I never really appreciated him growing up, but after I was married and had my own household to take care of, I really leaned on him for so many things.  Funny how wise your parents become the older we get.  Well, I'm sure there was a huge reunion when my Mom left this earthly plain last February.  I can't wish her back, though I miss her like crazy.  She must be so happy to be reunited with Dad, her Mom and her sisters and cousins.  I'm wishing I could give you a big hug and a kiss....but all I can do is wave from this side of the curtain and wish you a very Happy Birthday in Heaven.  Say Hi to Mom....

3 comments:

Vickie said...

What a lovely tribute to your sweet Father, DJ.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

That's a lovely post to remember your Dad by and a beautiful photo too.

Katie said...

Thank you for sharing. Happy Birthday to your father.