Friday, January 6, 2017

First Friday Update!

Happy Friday everybody!!

I've had quite a week!  Don't get me wrong, I love my guys, and I've enjoyed every minute of spending time with them over the holidays!  It's been great having them home.  When the holiday falls on a weekend, the government generously gives them an extra day off, so they have both had two 3-day weekends, which has been fun.  We've been going to movies, shopping, and dining out, and I will say I'm pretty tired...so the past week, I've slowed down a bit and spent some time stitching.  I got my hair cut, and had lunch with two ladies (who recently retired) from our church.  The rest of the time I've been stitching...and making really good progress on Aurora Cabin!!  Here are before and after pictures...


I've also tried to put one strand of thread in Leave a Light On a day.  I love this pattern...and am really enjoying the stitch, but the main priority this year is to knock out those WIPs I've had hanging around.  Weird how the pictures look different in the different light...it's a bit dreary here today.  What has been nice about stitching slowly on this is that I'm stitching on 28 count Navy...over one...quite the challenge, so it's nice to give my eyes a break!!  Not a lot of progress, but there is some...



I have a couple of things waiting in the wings.  I decided to stitch something for a charity (Equines for Freedom) my cousin is raising funds for in honor of her brother who was a Vietnam Vet.  This is a program that provides healing for our veterans with PTSD without cost to the vets.  I couldn't attend the fundraiser last year because I was in NY taking care of my Mom, so I thought this year I would go, if I can, but I would also stitch something for them to raffle off to help raise funds.  I've chosen this pattern, which I happened to have all kitted up and ready to go!  So, I can stitch it up and still stay within my resolutions to stitch from stash.  Win win!!


I've also decided to participate in the Linen and Threads Mystery Sampler SAL.  My friend Mouse has twisted my arm...LOL!!  (Just kidding....she only had to whisper SAL...LOL!!!)  I thought long and hard (about 5 minutes...haha) and decided to dive into my stash and see if I had what I needed...two summers ago I bought a small container of threads at a flea market for $5.00.  You couldn't really see what was hidden in the bottom and there were a couple skeins of DMC at the top....but that was all the DMC in there!!!  I found JP Coats, and many others I had never heard of.  I put it aside and use it now and then when I need a small amount of a color in a project.  I decided to really dig around in there and I found several skeins of the same color!  Woot!!  I decided I'm going to give it a go and see where this takes me.  I'm going to throw other colors in there now and then just so I hope to have enough to finish the whole thing.  Here is my toss floss on 28 ct. black fabric.  I'm going to stitch it over one (and hope they don't throw any specialty stitches in there).  Still stitching from stash!  Ain't life grand??


I just want to end this by saying....the two ladies I mentioned that I had lunch with?  They recently retired.  They mentioned that it's been a challenge since they did, as they are finding it very lonely.  They both had jobs where there were a lot of folks around, and they have found the change very isolating.  I am so glad now that I invited them to lunch!!  I like having time to myself, I enjoy just puttering and doing what I like, so solitude never bothered me, but I REALLY enjoyed their company!!  I realize there are a lot of folks who don't have much interaction with others (my Mom is one, and I worry about her spending so much time alone, but living so far away there's nothing I can do about that).  It opened my eyes to the needs of others (something I've been praying about) and honestly, it took very little time to go and have lunch with them, and cheer up their day.  I encourage you, if you have the time, to seek out those who might enjoy your company, and spend a little time with them.  I know I'm so glad I did, I may have even got more from our little encounter than they did!  If you are the one isolated, reach out and invite someone to do something with you...who knows?  You might even get more enjoyment than you think!

Guess who's having a stitch day?  Next Tuesday...hopefully I won't have to cancel, and those I've invited can come.  Can't wait to see my stitch pals again, it's been too long since I've spent time with them!!

On that note...off to get some serious stitching done...I feel the end is in sight of Aurora Cabin!!!

5 comments:

Mouse said...

whoo me twisted your arm ..lol ... love your chosen threads and fabric and as its from stash too a bonus ... well done on the progess on Aurora Cabin too ...and it is nice to meet up with some like minded peeps ... I try and do that at least once a month too :) love mouse xxxx

Mary - Lecoeurceltique said...

It looks as if Aurora Cabin is close to being finished. I hope your day with stitching friends is full of laughter and stitching.

Desiree Ehleiter said...

Aurora Cabin is gorgeous! I really love your suggestion to reach out to people who may be lonely and in need of companionship. My mom loved to be alone, and I enjoy my "personal days", but I also feel that people need some attention and human contact. Enjoy your stitch day!

Justine said...

The end is in sight! What a beautiful stitch.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Aurora Cabin is looking wonderful. You're making decent progress on the Lighthouse too.
Glad you enjoyed your lunchtime meetup too. Will it be a regular thing? Living in a small town like mine, many older people use their free bus passes to come into town and sit in the pedestrian precinct chatting to each other. Or walking up and down the seafront. Even in Winter! It certainly blows the cobwebs away.