Thursday, November 10, 2016

Prepare the padded room....

The past 3 days have been crazy busy....and then last night DH dropped a bombshell.  We have a three day weekend coming up for Veterans day...and he wants to go see a show in Pennsylvania...and leave at noon Thursday.  I've been trying like crazy to get ornaments finished up for an exchange, and now I'll be gone through Saturday.  Yesterday, after DH's bombshell, DS asked me if his girlfriend could come over for Thanksgiving (two weeks from Thursday).  I was thinking about it, and he continued on....saying DGF's grandmother passed away since last Thanksgiving, she always had the big meal and gathering, they have nowhere to have the celebration, it's DGF's favorite holiday, and if she doesn't come over it will ruin her favorite holiday.  I'm getting ready to say...ok....when he says, and can her family come too?  I'm thinking....what am I getting myself into???  So I ask, how many people are we talking about?  He starts listing them off ... DGF, her Mom, her sister, her Dad (who is divorced from her Mom) and his girlfriend.....and it will end up with 8 people here for the meal.  Her Mom, Dad and soon to be stepmom?  Can we spell AWKWARD???   It's only been us three for years....so I've gotten into a routine of a turkey breast and a few fixings.  I haven't cooked a full turkey in 30 years!!!!!  But he pleaded and now I've agreed.  You can stop rolling on the floor laughing now.  I don't have a table big enough for all these people.  I hope both he and DH help me get this place cleaned up....I haven't been home long enough to clean up the mess they made while I was gone for 4 months...and can you help me figure out how to expand my oven to accommodate the menu he's planning.  Um....does anyone have a spare room you could let for a couple of weeks until Thanksgiving is over?  I'm thinking of running screaming into the night!  Could you send some good STRONG wine....or vodka....or good old fashioned whiskey?  Anyone have a spare straight jacket?  I'll send measurements if you'd like to help me out and make one for me....

If you need me I'll be babbling away in the corner...

6 comments:

Tiffstitch said...

Yikes! Good luck. If you have a large enough BBQ, we cook our turkey in ours on a rotisserie and that leaves the oven available for everything else.

stitchersanon said...

Oh wow..how generous of you. I guess he better get busy helping! If he doesn't help then it doesn't get done lol Why not suggest his family bring some bits along for you? Kind of a bring and share?

KimM said...

Oh Man. Best of luck, Kiddo. We have an extra room in our lower level, if you want to send some visitors to Iowa.
xxx

Mary - Lecoeurceltique said...

How generous of you but if I had been in your shoes I would have found it difficult to say no also. I hope that things are easier to prepare than you currently imagine.

Desiree Ehleiter said...

Very nice of you saying yes. I suggest getting a tabletop turkey roaster. I got one last year when I decided to host Thanksgiving for my mom, DH, and 5 cousins. The turkey was wonderful, and it freed up the oven for everything else. Cousin is hosting this year, but will use the roaster again next year for sure!

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

I agree with Gaynor, ask everyone to bring a different dish or at least some decent wine!
Anyone that doesn't bring something nice has to do all the washing up! Hopefully they will be lovely people and you'll have a great time.