Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Blooming Wednesday!

Hello dear blogging buddies! I hope the wind didn't blow you away yesterday, whew what a day! I'm going to have to start using super glue to attach my wig!! LOL No, there were no flying wig mishaps yesterday, but I did keep my hand firmly on top while out running errands yesterday!!


What do you think of my attempt at artwork? Yesterday was Therapeutic Art day. I have made a few good friends through the breast cancer support group and a couple of them attend the art classes that are offered free at the Annapolis Wellness House. I cannot tell you how intimidating this is for me. I have no art history, cannot draw a straight line, and am not creative at all. My only "art form" is stitching, but even then I'm following a pattern and have near panic attacks if I have to change the floss color. I follow the rules, I DON'T color outside the lines...I'm boring!! LOL I don't know why, but the instructor was so gracious and gave us coloring sheets to do yesterday. I don't know if she was testing us to see our abilities, or what, but I have to say, it relieved my stress as I could just stay inside the lines! The only real choices I had were which picture to color and what medium to use. I chose colored pencils (I've had many people frame lovely colored pencil drawings and thought how much I would LOVE to be able to do that). Well, we had TWO hours...and I didn't finish. Can you believe that? My friend Gail finished two, my other friend, Beth finished one and I couldn't even finish the one I'd chosen. See...I told you I'm a failure at art! I'll be heading out later to find colored pencils, I really DO like to finish what I start! As far as the therapy part, I'm still trying to wrap my head around that. I guess the ladies there were all dealing with some sort of loss in their lives and the creativity is a way of channeling their feelings. We all handle stress differently, I guess, mine is to blab mindlessly on a blog, and stitch...LOL And look how well adjusted and sane I am!?!?!?! Ok, maybe I do need therapeutic art! ROTFL

I did manage to get a wee bit of stitching in last night and was able to finish Winter Band Sampler from Little House Needleworks. I placed a dime by this picture so you could see how tiny this is! I have no idea what I'm going to do with this, I have a ton of fabric around it. I must have been having a brain cramp that day as I really didn't plan well for the size of the fabric or the most economical way to begin stitching. *shaking head* Oh well, I'll try to do better next time. If you click on the picture it will make it bigger so you can see the detail. It's adorable this small though...hm...any ideas?


In the dead of winter, my houseplants all decided to begin to bloom. Just as I'm emerging from the chemo brain fog, and just as the after holiday blahs are descending, God decided to add a little color and beauty to my world. Isn't it amazing how He cares for us even in the smallest of ways. I'm so blessed...




Ok, off to get a bit of stitching done, today is Rose Quaker (UFO) day as tomorrow I'll be gone for the day. I'm hoping you have a beautiful and relaxing day! *Hugs*

11 comments:

Edy said...

You are really something else! Your stitching is so delicate, and those African Violets are marvelous, especially today when it is 18* out!

Keep up the are classes -- although you (like me) may not be a Mary Cassat, you never know what will come out of your talented hands!

Unknown said...

I think your artwork is lovely! It's like a soft breeze on a beautiful spring day...

And I absolutely love your LHN finish...it is so delicate and dainty looking!!

I so enjoy reading your posts...you are also finding something to be happy and smile about!!

Happy Stitchin'
Terri

blueladie said...

I really enjoyed reading your post. I love your art piece. It's so pretty! Your LHN stitching turned out beautiful. Did you do it over 1? I did mine over 2. Love, love love your plants blooming. Yes, indeed, what a gift. :) Cathryn

Linda said...

Great coloring. That was my favorite pasttime as a child. Hey, maybe thats why I love to cross stitch. Coloring with floss. Your picture is gorgeous and so tiny. I can only work on 14 ct. Have a great day. Linda

Mouse said...

HI DJ .love the art .. you've done a great job on it much better than me :( ...love the winter lhn .. mmmm thinking cap on Bell pull methinks :) and wow African violets I love them too ... usually have some in the house but not this year yet :( right off to get a drink of tea am parched after all this gassing heheheh ...love mouse xxx

Babs in Alabama said...

Hi DJ! I missed yesterday's post, but telling you now HoA is looking so pretty. I will try to post today. Spent most of the day fighting viruses trying to infiltrate my little world on the computer. I think it's ok now. My techs are my brother in Kansas & hubby in Philly. They're there for me 24/7...well...:Love your pencil art! and your violets! and you get more stitching done on everything than I do right now. hugs,
babs

Tricia T said...

Your coloring is beautiful. Who says you have to do it quickly??? And I love your wonderful Winter Band Sampler. You could make it into a Needlebook or frame it or make a pinpillow... So many options!!! I can't wait to see what you choose. And your violets are gorgeous! It made me curious, so I just went and checked mine and I have a bud, too! :-) Yay! It cheers the soul to have flowers when it's 9 degrees outside!

Astrids dragon said...

WOW, who says you have to draw a straight line, you did a great job!!! And take your time, it's working for you.
Love your sampler, maybe you could add some snowflakes around it and then frame it - or better yet, paint some snowflakes on the border, budding artist that you are!

Val said...

Oh lovely art work DJ - wish I could draw :(
and love the finished stitching ...

Joy said...

Great stitching!! Your colored pencil piece is pretty and you should definitely frame it when you are done. Ahhh...flowers blooming...to me is God's message to symbolize new beginnings. As the blooms are beautiful, so are new beginnings. :-)

MysteryKnitter said...

Your drawing is 100 times better than I ever could make! Pretty picture!